Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the best low budget tranny would be for an 04.5 LLY? I only have a few modifications such as Fuel pump, programmer, gauges, intake, exhaust, and boost fooler and thats prolly as far as ill go, Maybe switch to EFI Live? I have a PPE hot race and have been running it at 160hp and started to slip the trans. I plan on kepping this truck as a farm vehicle and am in the process of buying a new one. I was just wondering what the best tranny on a low budget would run? Thanks!

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
i did mine for about 3k$ uninstalled and reinstalled myself bought the kit online and paid a allison rebuild shop to do it. just shop around for a rebuilder. and you can do it decently cheap. mines holding up to daily 500hp abuse.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
a lot of reading i've done on dd says not to go PPE... that being said my money would go to alligator

·
Registered
231 Posts
a lot of reading i've done on dd says not to go PPE... that being said my money would go to alligator
What are the reasons for not going PPE on dd? Harshness, don't last? Just asking as I am in the market for a tranny as well.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Ppe kits are great kits....though my money is on the gmax, buy a kit and build it yourself. They are not hard to do

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
take a peek at this thread
PPE vs .... General bitching about dual fuelers, etc. - Duramax Diesels Forum
thread search PPE transmission for the posts about their tranny's, if you're in a mood for a bitch out read the whole thread...
That threads about dual fuelers??????edit.... I read what you wrong under the link. Ppe trans kit is a good kit. Hell mike l design it for them and they come with mike l converters. There are tons of guys on here that run them with no problems.... now they had problems with when they first can out. But once mike l redisgned it for em they have had no problems

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
understood, maybe they were talking about the old ones. just word of mouth i've heard about them. glad they make good kits :)

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
The PPE kit isn't bad at all, but you have to get the stage 5 to get all the goodies.

Like said above, 4k is about bottom dollar unless you build it yourself.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
I was wondering what the best low budget tranny would be for an 04.5 LLY? I only have a few modifications such as Fuel pump, programmer, gauges, intake, exhaust, and boost fooler and thats prolly as far as ill go, Maybe switch to EFI Live? I have a PPE hot race and have been running it at 160hp and started to slip the trans. I plan on kepping this truck as a farm vehicle and am in the process of buying a new one. I was just wondering what the best tranny on a low budget would run? Thanks!

The term "Budget Transmission" on a Duramax is a complete oxymoron and with a 5spd trans, even more so. On an LLY you can either turn down the power rebuild the stock tranny or you can play with the big boys and pay the $4K+ required to put that power to the ground. You may be able to save a few bucks if you have the surgical skills needed to do the rebuild yourself, but good kits (Transgo, clutches and converter) are still going to be in the $2-3k range too. Not really what I'd call cheap and you need to make sure you do the work perfectly or it may cost you a bunch more in the end.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts