Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, what is the best performance chip for a 2001 Dodge Cummins? My buddy just bought a nice one and so far has 4" Straight pipe, and AFE Stage 2 Intake. He wants to buy a chip for it next but isnt sure what to buy. Also what else would be beneficial to him without costing alot of money.

Would an AirDog 150 help him out alot with just the chip, intake, and exhaust?

Anything else?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Quadzilla Adrenaline, TST Powermax, Edge comp... A good lift pump is a must on a VP44 Cummins.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I hear the Smarty Jr is the best for the cummins

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I hear the Smarty Jr is the best for the cummins
The Smarty Jr is only for 03+ trucks. A Smarty for a 2nd gen Cummins is about 60hp at the wheels. It's not worth it for the price IMO. The other three tuners I stated should add 100+ hp at the wheels with supporting mods.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With a chip on his truck, how high can he go before he needs a lift pump? Also how much can his stock trans hold? Anything he can do that doesnt cost an arm and a leg to the trans to hold more power (Like the TransGo Jr.)

·
Registered
635 Posts
There are two versions of the smarty for the 2nd generation cummins,there is the smarty and the smarty catcher,it adds in acess of 220 horsepower to the flywheel,my buddy has it on his I don remember the torque it adds but the horsepower is over 200.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Does his truck have an automatic or manual? The dodge trannys are POS. I have an 02 with 110k on it and is stock other than a 4" exhaust and the tranny is going out so currently it is getting a HTS tranny, lightning pump and 100 hp injectors. I also had a 00' and the tranny went at 147k. I wouldnt put any more power then stock to that tranny unless he has some cash saved up for a good tranny build. I know and have put 2 in and my cousin put one in his 99' around 150k miles also. The dodge trannys just dont hold power in the 2 gen. trucks.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well his truck is the Auto, forgot to mention that. And it has 260,000kms on it (not sure how much that is in miles off hand).

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
quadzilla adrenaline.. this will be more than plenty to fry the factory clutches in the P.O.S dodge trannys

oh yeah, a lift pump is a must

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the Quadzilla Adrenaline the one that adds 180ish HP? It also comes with the Pulse Monitor, correct?

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
There are two versions of the smarty for the 2nd generation cummins,there is the smarty and the smarty catcher,it adds in acess of 220 horsepower to the flywheel,my buddy has it on his I don remember the torque it adds but the horsepower is over 200.
Wrong... A Smarty for a 2nd gen only adds around 60 rwhp... Your thinking of the Common Rail. Every Smarty has the "catcher" software. They rate their hp at the wheels.

To the OP... A lift pump IS needed on a stock truck. On a stock auto 50hp is max and the trans probably will not like it.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Do a search on Cumminsforum.com... Theres a lot of good reading on CF.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Actualy do a search on here for the smarty before you go off saying wrong,why would a company as reputable as smarty sell a programmer that only adds 60,you can get damn near 15 out of an intake,I will get the paper off my buddy and scan it on here just to show,it is a 98.5 24 vale not a common rail,I'm nottrying to sound like an asshole or anything but I hav looked at the paper that came with it first hand. He likes the comp box better than the smarty,I hear the new quadzilla is supposed to run pretty good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
never put a chip or anything thats gonna demand more fuel before putting a good lift pump. it will fry that VP44 injection pump..i have a smarty..its does ok but not worth the money for these trucks.if it was a common rail, then smarty would do way better..but for the VP44 24valves ,the edge comp or quadzilla are very good..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Actualy do a search on here for the smarty before you go off saying wrong,why would a company as reputable as smarty sell a programmer that only adds 60,you can get damn near 15 out of an intake,I will get the paper off my buddy and scan it on here just to show,it is a 98.5 24 vale not a common rail,I'm nottrying to sound like an asshole or anything but I hav looked at the paper that came with it first hand. He likes the comp box better than the smarty,I hear the new quadzilla is supposed to run pretty good.
a smarty wont add much power to the VP44 trucks because without tapping the injection pump, its pretty much impossible to add much more than 60-90 HP

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
smarty for summins

·
Registered
380 Posts
I had an 02 with a 180 horse quadzilla on it. Man that thing was sick. All I did was relace the injector pump when it went out (before installation) and did the lift pump. I put a 1000 hp south bend clutch in and an afe filter with a stock air box mod. It would blow smoke like there was no tomorrow and the egt's ran decently cool when I was in it. Quadzilla gets my vote from experience.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
MADS Electronics - Smarty - CaTCHER - Smarty03

Heres Mads website for the 2nd gen Smarty... They say nothing about hp gains for the 2nd gens... Ask some guys on CF how much rwhp the Smarty alone will add to a 2nd gen.

MADS Electronics - Smarty - CaTCHER - Smarty06

Heres the Smarty for 03-07 Common Rail trucks... Smarty is a different animal for the CRs.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
a smarty wont add much power to the VP44 trucks because without tapping the injection pump, its pretty much impossible to add much more than 60-90 HP
BINGO!!! Tapping the pump wire is how to get the most hp gains out of a tuner/box on a 2nd gen Cummins.

As I stated above Quad, TST PM, and Edge comp... These all tap the pump wire for max power.

·
Registered
17 Posts
BINGO!!! Tapping the pump wire is how to get the most hp gains out of a tuner/box on a 2nd gen Cummins.

As I stated above Quad, TST PM, and Edge comp... These all tap the pump wire for max power.
exactly bud..im off of cumminsforum so i got all the info..plus ive tried pretty much everything to get more power out of my truck..i used to have a edge juice/attitude..that thing did way more than my smarty..because it tapped the pump..plus i have aftermarket injectors..those plus a tuner/chip will really wake these trucks up...until you burn your stock clutch..or your auto tranny

1 - 20 of 37 Posts