Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the best Performance Chip/Tuner for my truck, i want the biggest bang for my buck. Also would like one that will make blow a healthy cloud of smoke but, not to much.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What would be the best Performance Chip/Tuner for my truck, i want the biggest bang for my buck. Also would like one that will make blow a healthy cloud of smoke but, not to much.

ppe hot+2 is the biggest bang for the buck. but it will be the biggest bang on a stock trans as well... for the smoke, its excessive (to say the least).

i ran a edge for a while. it makes decent power, and a little smoke. adjustable on the fly, the attitude monitor has some nifty digital gauges (if you dont already have some), but their accuracy has been questioned.

theres several different ones available. maybe some more folks will chime in with their experiences.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What about the Edge EZ? I just want something mild, I don't tow alot but when I do its usually Farm Equipment or Cattle Trailer, mostly under 18000 lbs. I had a Edge Juice on my Dodge, It was just too modern for me.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
if you want a good one for the money you can't beat the diablo sport predator,but i would personally recommend the ppe..

·
Smoke. It's what's cookin
2,934 Posts
I'm likin my ppe hot +2. runnin it mild right now. not a lot of smoke.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I have been using the TST powermaxx and diablosport predator stacked. Obviously, I don't have either of the programmers on a high setting. I get a little bit of smoke. I would have to say that for the money the predator does pretty good. The only problem with using programmers, is that you want to try others after you have them. If you like to tinker with settings, EFI Live would be good. There are many people that use it and would share their tune with you. I have heard nothing about good things from PPE's programmers. It comes down to how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
262 Posts
i have the ppe xcellerator and like it. if i were to do it again i would go with the edge evolution my friend has it and i like teh way it works my ppe takes a lot longer to program than his imo

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had an edge and swiched to the predator. I like it alot!! My 2 cents..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had an edge but had problems with it dying. so i bought a diablo predator and put it on the 65 horse it will puff a little smoke. wish i would have went with the diablo before the edge.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Predator

The Predator ROCKS.....that along with my new MBRP 5 inch exhaust with 6inch tip....

Best money I have ever spent, that is after my dmax!!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, first post on here, i currently own a 1997 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4, but am looking for an 03 or 04 2500 Duramax/Allison CC SB. (i have also looked at F150 5.4L CC, and Superduty CC's but the Superdutys wont fit in my parking space and the 5.4L gasser doesnt even compare with the fuel economy and power of a Diesel not too mention Diesel is $0.25/litre cheaper than gas here, oh and Dodge's rear legroom is stingy at best with the exception of the Mega Cab. So now I'm left with a good option, Duramax!).

I have never owned a diesel before, but i've been doing alot of research lately, and i ran across an interesting article from Banks Engineering where they tested a few of the major brand tuner's against their own. Take a look

Banks Tuner Test

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Somehow I just don't trust their testing. I can't believe they didn't limp the truck when they removed the "5th gear derate" as they call it or when they were testing the other programmers. I know some of them are "rated" for more hp than they are giving them credit for. Although, when they tested the Edge on Hot, the only reason it got slower in the highest level is because it was slipping the tranny. It would be interesting to see what order they tested the products in though. That could have influenced test results too. I know of other guys that have done the real world testing and there are better ones out there. Not saying anything bad about banks, but they sure are proud of their products and the price shows.

BTW, welcome to the site and the link is pretty informative about features of the different programmers.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
welcome to the site..i can tell you 2 guys that have banks and had nothing but trouble with them,the one guy has it on his 02 LB7 chevy 2500hd S/C L/B and it works for 10 sec. after you plug it in and then quits and banks won't do anything for because they don't build a bad product and the worse case was 0n the 07 LBZ chevy 2500HD C/C L/B and it acually crashed his computer on the truck leaveing him stranded and ofcourse the dealer laughed at him so he bought a new computer for the truck and since trade it for a 07 6.7L cummins,so with that said i would personaly stay away from banks tuners..just some experiences some customers of mine had..good luck on your

·
Registered
35 Posts
thanks for posting that up about the banks "test".

i would of loved to seen that in person:rolleyes: . 15 sec ppe...:rof

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ah, the best hands down would be EFi Lve, no ?'s asked, no crap, just straight up the absolute best. EFi will do whatever you want it to do, create your own tunes, i have everything from 50hp-270hp my tuning has dynoed at just over 545rwhp. limitless potential! why buy a predator or ppe for that matter when you can use the program that wrote the tunes to begin with? Well not the exact program but similar. My truck ran 13's picked up nitrous, needed a lil tweak did it, havnt ran it yet but guessin it will do 12 flat or less. On stock motor 1cp3. When the build is doneand the HTT goes on with the Industrail Injection Cp3 and Socal pistons/Crower rods should beable to do high 11's. Would not be possible without EFi Live.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an Edge Juice with Attitude stacked with a bully dog tripledog tuner. I love my edge because of the adjust on the fly. Haven't had any problems to speak of. I've had the egde about 2 years now.

·
Registered
262 Posts
banks probably tested their own product first(i would also to tell the truth). but i would have loved to see when they tested the ppe because they said it is actually slower than the edge and i dont beleive that

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
ya i just understand because here about a week ago a guy with a 06 ext cab S/B LBZ ran a 13.8 with the PPE(300hp)on a all stock truck except the exhaust..

·
Registered
262 Posts
nice, ppe is a great tuner just dont need two programmers and i like the edge a little more

·
Registered
132 Posts
i ran a borrowed ppe hot et +2 at the pulls last friday, i got 5th and pulled 305'/313', beat every ford and all but one dodge. only 4 trucks to beat me were A5K, GT42, propane, and etc... i knew every guy that beat me so i kinda knew it going in, but i was surprised at how well the ppe ran. ppl couldn't believe that i was completely stock injectors, turbo, trans, etc... and all i had to do to beat 'em was a decent set-up and a strong programmer. one big thumbs up for ppe here.

i'll be running the full moonshine tune (in my sig.) this weekend, we'll see how it stacks up.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts