Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new fella here bought my first dmax 2003 RCLB LB7, bright red, just got injectors done and have been adding small accessories. Transmission is stock and it has 140000 kilometres on it. I am hoping to split the efi live program with a friend to do our own tuning, however i was planning on doing exhaust and intake, I'm thinking k and n intake? and mbrp exhaust (which i am a dealer for in ontario) however wondering what everyones thoughts were, as mbrp recommends a regular cab adaptor pipe?? i have found a down pipe back magna flow new in box for 500. 4 inch with muffler, but what is everyone else running? mbrp 4 or 5 inch? muffler or no? and cat back or down pipe, don't know how a cat back would work seeing as my truck does not have cat? let me know please and thanks my profile pic is the truck. thanks

Rob
:gearjamin

·
Registered
347 Posts
i would recommend 5 inch cause i have 4" and since ive known there was a 5 inch ive always wanted it. lol and no muffler of coarse !!

·
Registered
573 Posts
i like magnflow stuff but they dont make it for my truck so a mbrp 5 inch will go on what i have the cash. also go with the dp back and for a mufler or not it just depends on how much you want to here it. also the k&n is not on the top of most guys list. you dont realy need one as the lb7 one is good to over 500 hp. but if i get one i like that one form banks. jmo

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
i like magnflow stuff but they dont make it for my truck so a mbrp 5 inch will go on what i have the cash. also go with the dp back and for a mufler or not it just depends on how much you want to here it. also the k&n is not on the top of most guys list. you dont realy need one as the lb7 one is good to over 500 hp. but if i get one i like that one form banks. jmo
I'd look at other options and you need an intake on the LB7 and LLY.

The LBZ and LMM intake are good for stock turbo applications...

S&B, AFE, or Bill's Custom Intakes would be my first choices...

I have less feedback on Banks, but I hear it is a good product as well.

He's right, don't get K&N, the rep is they come apart in forced induction applications.

·
BACK IN DFW!
389 Posts
I have an s&b intake, I really like it and I would deffinately recommend it.
I also have the 4" mbrp exhaust and really like it too.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
As for the exhaust question, I have a 4" mbrp turbo back. Love the sound, however I'm still wanting a 5"er.
Best advice I can give is that if you even think you want a 5", go ahead and get it from the get go, or you'll wind up eventually regretting it down the road haha.

Also, might i suggest getting an airdog II 165 for it or at least a nicktane setup? Me personally if I owned an lb7 i would be treating those injectors to the best possible treatment to milk the inevitable out for as long as possible.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya i was gonna do the air dog, however i have heard that they don't like the canadian climate??? and ya my friend has a straight through pipe, just cut muffler i may do that for now, and anyone on here know how much it is to build a allison for these trucks? hopefully into a six speed if possible?

·
Registered
915 Posts
ya i was gonna do the air dog, however i have heard that they don't like the canadian climate??? and ya my friend has a straight through pipe, just cut muffler i may do that for now, and anyone on here know how much it is to build a allison for these trucks? hopefully into a six speed if possible?
I havent heard anything about the air dogs not liking our climate. as for a reputable allison builder around your area i would suggest newmarket transmission. And i know they will build a stage 5 ppe 5 speed with tc parts and labour around $5000. get the 5 inch dp back with no muffler. Mbrp seems to be the way to go. You can also look into flopro

·
Registered
573 Posts
a trans will run 3k and up (thats if you do the work) and a 5to6 speed cov will run about $2500 but as far as i know you cant tune the trans after you put it in. the only place i know that have it are ppe and suncost

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya i will get a air dog then, and your in barrie? so am i at school, and ya do you guys do gauges first and then everything else? found two 45's for free so until i get the mbrp I'm gonna straight pipe it

·
Registered
915 Posts
i would do your intake and exhaust first and then once you get your efi tuning i would suggest getting gauges or just an egt guage to start. I wouldnt get a k&n. go with an s&b or a afe but best bang for your buck i would say and someone can correct me if im out to lunch but look into a billscustomintake.com that is what im gonna do when i get one. Oh and keep an eye out for my truck if you are around town flag me down!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i would do your intake and exhaust first and then once you get your efi tuning i would suggest getting gauges or just an egt guage to start. I wouldnt get a k&n. go with an s&b or a afe but best bang for your buck i would say and someone can correct me if im out to lunch but look into a billscustomintake.com that is what im gonna do when i get one. Oh and keep an eye out for my truck if you are around town flag me down!
ya man will do, if you haven't yet make sure you level the tow mirrors changes the whole look of the truck man!! ill keep my eyes and ears open:gearjamin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts