Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if i should use the DEX-COOL that my owners manual says to use or if i can use just any old coolant? Thanks

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
^^^^^ Agree

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay thanks. will autozone or something along those lines carry dexcool? or do i need to go somewhere inparticular?

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
The key words here is You HAVE TO GET ALL THE OLD COOLANT OUT, So you either need to have it flushed. Or you need to pull the lower rad hose. drain out as much as you can. Fill it with plain water. Get the truck to opperating temp and drain again. You need to do this a couple of times. If you mix dexcool with green you will get sludge.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay thanks. Im just gonna stick with dexcool. thats what i bought today

·
Registered
239 Posts
is ther any special tricks to replace antifreeze if you stick with dexcool

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
^no just pour it in. I would say, flush the system and go with the ethylene glycol (green) it is a lot better and dex cool is hard on seals. ethylene glycol will kill the family dog, it takes a lot more dex cool to do the same.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Use Dex cool only in a D-max , Never ever use other than dex cool and never mix ,don't listen to anyone that says different !! There is a reason GM uses it , I can't tell you the details I am not smart enough but I am smart enough to use DEXCOOL !!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts