Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and got my first Dmax (made the switch from Cummins!)last friday. Right now I'm all stock and I'm looking to get my first mods. Any suggestions? Should I go with exhaust or intake first? Thoughts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right on, I'll look into that for sure thanks. What would you recommend for the exhaust? I was thinking of 4'' straight pipe or go cheap and delete the muffler and cat. Also, I have read that the stock intake doesn't really need to be upgraded until you start getting into the 400+ hp range..Is that true?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I like my MBRP with muffler but a lot of guys like it louder and run without the muffler. Removing the cat makes the exhaust flow better, lower egt, but louder.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Intake on the lb7 &lly trucks sucks, but you can hack it up and make it work better. I'd look into some extra fuel filtration. When was the last time the injectors were replaced? Look into the ppe boost valve it's cheap, you can port & polish the intake horn, you shouldn't have a cat unless it's a cali truck, straight pipe the stocker is cheap. If your tuning it, you need gauges, boost and pyro at a minimum.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
74 Posts
A nice exhaust and efi live can be had for under $1000. Just did the stuff in my sig and a few other minor things not listed for around $1600.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Are you sure you have a cat? Federal emission trucks dont have cats. But if you have a cat sorry to say you have an egr also

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked and saw I have a cat..

Looks like I'm leaning towards an exhaust first. When I had my dodge I couldn't find anyone willing to remove the muffler or cat. So a complete bolt on kit would be the way to go for me

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like I'll be going with the EGR delete. I'm thinkin of going for the muffler delete pipe. What size will I need? I'm not sure what the stock size is.

btw, thanks for the suggestions. I'd love to hear some more, especially about good brands. Keep 'em comin!

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Intake = s&b
Exhaust doesnt matter, pipes pipe...
Programmer go with a reputable tuner (EFI Live) Kory, BoBo, Rob, Danville performance, ect.
Gauges autometer or edge
Stock exhaust is 3.5 inch IIRC
Call it a day til you build the trans

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Intake = s&b
Exhaust doesnt matter, pipes pipe...
Programmer go with a reputable tuner (EFI Live) Kory, BoBo, Rob, Danville performance, ect.
Gauges autometer or edge
Stock exhaust is 3.5 inch IIRC
Call it a day til you build the trans
Thanks! That looks perfect for me.

How does the stock trans hold up with the tuner? I know the stock tranny on my dodge was pretty weak and didn't like my chip

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, All the muffler delete pipes I can find are 4". do they make one to fit on the stock pipe?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm satisfied with the power of my truck right now as it is. I am only doing comfort and convenience mods and aftermarket accessories for right now. Some of the things that I have done or plan on doing are relocating the USB plug on the dash and getting an extra power outlet, AVS Ventshades, Custom fit seatcovers by precisionfit.com, Electronic Tailgate lock by Pop&lock, Floormats, Line-x color matched spray in bed liner, undercover flex tonneau cover, Rigid dually floods and spots behind the grill, reese elite gooseneck and sliding fifth wheel hitch, edge insight cts w/ extra backup camera.
I am not yet in need of more power because I have to wait a few months to get my fifth wheel. If that is what you are looking for then great!! Just enjoy the truck and enjoy using it, whatever you do to it. Congratulations.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Back when i first bought my truck before i got the 5 inch exhaust, i bought just the muffler delete for the stock exhaust, like said above it is 3.5 inch. i got mine from alligator performance if i remember right, its been awhile, but they had the pipe with the correct bend to fit right in place of the factory muffler. hope this helps

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm satisfied with the power of my truck right now as it is. I am only doing comfort and convenience mods and aftermarket accessories for right now. Some of the things that I have done or plan on doing are relocating the USB plug on the dash and getting an extra power outlet, AVS Ventshades, Custom fit seatcovers by precisionfit.com, Electronic Tailgate lock by Pop&lock, Floormats, Line-x color matched spray in bed liner, undercover flex tonneau cover, Rigid dually floods and spots behind the grill, reese elite gooseneck and sliding fifth wheel hitch, edge insight cts w/ extra backup camera.
I am not yet in need of more power because I have to wait a few months to get my fifth wheel. If that is what you are looking for then great!! Just enjoy the truck and enjoy using it, whatever you do to it. Congratulations.
Wow that sounds awesome man! Those new trucks have a ton of nice goodies. Also I see in your sig that your military, props and respect! Thanks for the service! God bless

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Mastermind let me know if I can help you in any way with your mods or questions

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow that sounds awesome man! Those new trucks have a ton of nice goodies.
I had a 2011 LT extended cab and there were a lot of things that I did to it that I have or will do the same and some things that I did completely wrong and will do differently. Mainly the bedliner and tonneau cover will be Line-x instead of rhino and undercover flex instead of the Bakflip F1 w/ladder rack. The rack was not stable at all, with the original clamps for the tonneau cover.

Also I see in your sig that your military, props and respect! Thanks for the service! God bless
I appreciate it!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mastermind let me know if I can help you in any way with your mods or questions
Thanks! I am looking for a 3.5'' muffler delete pipe. Also, the s&b intake.

Much appreciated

1 - 20 of 27 Posts