Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Going to test out some WIX filters thanks to Jess. I have the no-upshift issue and crappy powerband right now.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Stick with AMSOIL. The benefits of using AMSOIL and EA filters outweigh using the WIX or any other brand filters.

Just 2 my cents.

Take care,

i wonder why you would say that??:D

·
Registered
177 Posts
i use either the mobile 1 or the napa gold brand. both are highly rated just as the amsoil filters are but i can run down to my local parts store any day of the week and pick up a m-1 or napa filter, its a world of convenience and amsoil is not in that category...if they sold amsoil in the store i would use it.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
PH8a oil filter

Why not use a relatively inexpensive oil filter as a primary, inline prefilter on a duramax? I know the Fram filters are generaly considered poor but it is easy (and cheap) to get a adaptor for one and you could use whatever make of filter that turns your world! GOOD quality oil filters in the 5- 10 micron rating can be had for $3 to $8 dollars and would likely prolong the oem filter change interval by multiples! Any reasons why this won't work?
Ed

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Why not use a relatively inexpensive oil filter as a primary, inline prefilter on a duramax? I know the Fram filters are generaly considered poor but it is easy (and cheap) to get a adaptor for one and you could use whatever make of filter that turns your world! GOOD quality oil filters in the 5- 10 micron rating can be had for $3 to $8 dollars and would likely prolong the oem filter change interval by multiples! Any reasons why this won't work?
Ed
There are no oem replacement filters that filter to less than 15 microns "Absolute" available on the market today. You may be looking at the "Nominal" rating which is only what the filter can filter 50% of the time. The Absolute rating is what the filter can filter 98%+ of the time. That is the key rating you want to find out when choosing a filter.

Unlike a fuel line there isn't any place to put an oil filter inline except with an adapt of the OEM filter. By the time you go to the trouble to make the set up to do that you might as well get an Amsoil BMK 27 Dual bypass filter system and extend your oil changes by multiples like you said. Its already a proven system and comes with the adapter hoses and all fittings to install it. You buy one of my aftermarket mounts and you cut the fab work and installation down to 1 hour or less if your good.

Dane

·
Registered
17 Posts
oil filter as a fuel filter

I am talking about using a oil filter as a fuel prefilter to extend the life of the expensive oem fuel filter on our trucks. common oil filters are very cheap by comparison and should filter out a significant portion of contaminants from the fuel. would they really know whether they were filtering oil or diesel fuel?
Ed

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I am talking about using a oil filter as a fuel prefilter to extend the life of the expensive oem fuel filter on our trucks. common oil filters are very cheap by comparison and should filter out a significant portion of contaminants from the fuel. would they really know whether they were filtering oil or diesel fuel?
Ed
Got it I was confused. :booboo

·
Registered
17 Posts
Racor

I have a Racor 225r filter assbly. with a r26s filter on it that I bought some years ago when I had a 1993 dodge diesel. would it have adequate flow to feed a stock 360hp Duramax if I used it with a r26t filter? Seems to me 45 gph should be enough????

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I'm considering Pure Power filters for fuel and oil...they make one for the transmission spin on as well. The fuel filter will pay for itself in 6 or 7 filter changes. As for oil, I used AMSOIL once and liked it...but would like it better if I could just go to the store and get it. So I use Mobil 1.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a BIG Donaldson fan! The only filters I use for Fuel, Engine and Trans. I also only use Chevron Delo Oils. I will hit 500000 This month with never having an oil or fuel related issue. Original transmission and everything. These are the filters I use.

Fuel:
Donaldson P550833 - Fuel Filter - CHEVROLET EXPRESS - Discount Filter's Online

Oil:
Donaldson P550518 - Oil Filter - CHEVROLET EXPRESS - Discount Filter's Online

Trans:
Donaldson P550606 - Hydraulic Filter - CHEVROLET KODIAK C6500 - Discount Filter's Online

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have any of you heard of NICKTANE Diesel in Sacramento,CA.?
They offer their own billet adapter for other fuel filters such as CAT, Donaldson, etc. but they also have their own specific fuel filter that they claim is a 1 micron "absolute". The kit with the adapter I believe is around $120.00.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Yes Nicktane is a widely known name, do a search.
Better read up real good on the install also youtube the install, many have made mistakes having fueling issues.
A easier product to install and is similar to the Nicktane is one that the ATP trucks offers. Click on the ATP trucks link in my signature and search.

1 micron absolute would probably equal out to a actual 3-5 micron fuel filter.
This absolute rating is very misleading and considered fake advertising IMO.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here is a link to Cat filters.....I also have a Insane Diesel by-pass filter, it filters down to 1 micron and a PPE pan, total 13 qts. And by the way I just paid $1.38 for diesel.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Amsoil makes one of the worst diesel motor oils so I would not look to them for an oil filter. Baldwin BF9882 "2 micron" fuel filter as it provides better filtration than the OEM filter and does not disable the fuel water sensor. Fuel filters may state that they are rated for 4 microns but that does not mean that they capture 100% of the particles larger than 4 microns as none of them can do this. Even if they filter 98.7% of the particles from diesel fuel that still means that for every gallon burned more than 240,000 particles are going to the high pressure rail and hitting the injector solenoids at 42,000 PSI.

Fuel filters are least effective when they are new and before any media loading has taken place. Best to go by the DIC as it is a better indicator of fuel consumed which is not accurately reflected in the miles driven. My truck gets 30% fewer miles per gallon when towing a heavy trailer and that so the filter is having to clean a lot more diesel for every mile driven.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Amsoil makes one of the worst diesel motor oils so I would not look to them for an oil filter. Baldwin BF9882 "2 micron" fuel filter as it provides better filtration than the OEM filter and does not disable the fuel water sensor. Fuel filters may state that they are rated for 4 microns but that does not mean that they capture 100% of the particles larger than 4 microns as none of them can do this. Even if they filter 98.7% of the particles from diesel fuel that still means that for every gallon burned more than 240,000 particles are going to the high pressure rail and hitting the injector solenoids at 42,000 PSI.

Fuel filters are least effective when they are new and before any media loading has taken place. Best to go by the DIC as it is a better indicator of fuel consumed which is not accurately reflected in the miles driven. My truck gets 30% fewer miles per gallon when towing a heavy trailer and that so the filter is having to clean a lot more diesel for every mile driven.
The gold Baldwin actually did very poorly in the filter shootout. Not sure if you saw that. The water separator flat out didn’t work. The ac Delco, red Baldwin and Donaldson did the best.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts