Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Water removal, yes....but Not all Diesel fuel additives add lubrication.

'bout all you can go by is the Spicer study from almost 12 years ago....1-10 = okay...13-20 actually lowered the lube rate.
I was using #4, but the supplier went AWOL, so....
I'm using a version of #6 now (2000 SUMMER blend, not tested)....probably the most economical to use....about 0.38cents per 30 gallons treated. 1/gal -> 4000 gals

The study was based on the worst case scenario on purchased fuel (like gasoline), where they obtained raw refined fuel (before the branding additive pack is mixed in) for testing.

Note: Bosch desired standard is 460 HFRR,
U.S. EPA standard is 520
Tested raw fuel (unadditized fuel ) was @ 636.

List starts on page 6
https://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

Reactions: eli_harper13

·
Registered
139 Posts
Infineum is a joint venture between XOM and Shell and is one of the world's largest formulators of bulk diesel additives. They publish an annual survey on winter diesel quality. US figures start on page 141. Short version is lubricity testing shows numbers below the EPA standard of 520 and cetane numbers in the mid 40s.

Page 23 in the trends section is worth a read.

https://www.infineuminsight.com/media/2228/infineum-wdfqs-2018-v10-14112018.pdf

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bio?

What about 5% Biodiesel added? If you can find it.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
IMO, Hook’ems link in his post #2 is more informative on what was tested good to use.
I think our concerns are USA’s fuel quality which we know sucks compared to other countries. where good lubricating fuel additives are a must.

I like Diesel Kleen with slick 50 and Cetane boost.
Lucas has IMO good lubricating and injector cleaning but that’s about it.

On my Dmax I tried both separately.
DK alone my mileage increased very little with cetane boost but the injectors had a little more clatter.
Lucas alone there was no mileage gains but the injectors was quieter.

I actually started to mix both back in 03, for me the best of both worlds, with a cost for additives at about 4-5 cents added to the per gal cost.

My previous diesel 03 6.0 PowerChoke had to be torn down a few times.
The diesel mechanic mentioned he hasn’t had any engines injectors as clean as mine was with my mix.
In Lake Havasu a good number of diesel owners use old grease, he’s found small chunks of chicken fat clogging the injectors.
Not a very good comparison old chicken fat grease mixed with diesel to a actual additive in diesel.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
#1 should be #10 or higher.
Lots of people like and use Opti-lube
I use DK and LUCAS
The others I don’t know.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I've used OptiLube every other fill up since using Propel Fuels instead of Diesel #2. I've tried Biodiesel, but it smells.

·
Registered
554 Posts
what's wrong with Stanadyne?
That’s what I use but I’m finishing off a gallon of opti right now.
Just recently seen Stanadyne XL? ,purple on the bottle.There saying ,2 people here,it’s better ,I guess better than lubrisity is what they were saying.
I wonder if this new XL is marketing? 'dunno;

·
Registered
576 Posts
I use opti-lube purple every fill up. Its strictly just for lube. I use to run the red XDP, but the purple is cheaper and brings the scar rating down even more. Could be mental, but I swear my truck seems smoother on the purple vs the red.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
what's wrong with Stanadyne?
Back in mid 07 the word was out that Stanadyne and Diesel Kleen was using a solvent that was hard on seals and could affect the DPF systems with the newer engines.
DK changed its formula but Stanadyne had no intentions to do so until they ran out of the supply with this solvent.
Wally World pulled DK off the shelfs until the changes was made along with most of the parts houses that carried Stanadyne and DK.
Besides this Stanadyne cost more, and if you go back a few years on results Stanadyne was pretty much on the lower section on the listings, showing the best to the bottom of the barrel.

I don't know how the Stanadyne products are these days hopefully better than it was 12 years ago, I'm not interested in even trying it again.
I'm stocked up for several years with DK and Lucas.

·
Registered
65 Posts
As far as Stanadyne goes... That particular list has the performance formula as 1. IF your looking for straight lubricity help then I would assume the Lubricity formula would be your better choice. The Spicer test although outdated at this point in time, confirms that, and in that specific test performed what I would consider above average. As mentioned the top 9 additives all increased lubricity. Before anyone jumps on the outdated comment, lets face it, most, if not all of these additives have changed their products since 2007 to account for ULSD we now use in the US.

157 vs 50 micron improvement lubricity vs performance formula.

I do know the Stanadyne formula has changed to now support up too B20 (when Spicer did their test it was B5)

as far as solvent wise in the mid 2000's, or if 12 years later they do or do not use it any longer. I'd like to think they would have exhausted that particular supply long ago in production...

I did read alot about solvent and DPF issues back then (mid 2000 era). In practice (my own experience) I had no issues while using stanadyne products and DPF issues.

On my current 2011 LML I use Stanadyne Lubricity in every tank with just shy of 90K at the moment with no issues to date.

Stanadyne Diesel Fuel Additives are approved by major vehicle manufacturers including Ford, GM, Navistar, Deere, Caterpillar, VW, AM General, and Volvo Penta.

No I'm not a salesman but I have done alot of research as well! this is my OPINION of a product and first hand use in Pickup trucks, and agriculture equipment.

I certainly don't discount DRC opinion as well... he's a smart man and great contributor here!

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
....have changed their products since 2007 to account for ULSD we now use in the US.
The EPA rules on ULSD vehicle compliance went into effect at midnight on 12-31-2006.
It wasn't a surprise that just popped up one day, leaving additive mfr's at a loss of how to comply with the future of Diesel in the U.S.A.

·
Registered
65 Posts
my line of thought is not that is was a surprise to the additive manufacturers.

Its along the lines of, as with any evolution of any product, the additives have gotten better at "lubricating" this ULSD. Or removing deposits, emulsifying, and so forth....

Additives today, I can promise, are not the same formulas, and have evolved to be better products due to longterm research and testing over the last 12 years.

I am sure the SPICER test repeated yield different results today due to this research.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Bringing up the manufactures approving Stanadyne brought back memories.
My GM dealer was very negative about customers wanting to use diesel additives in 07.

But if you insist on using diesel additives you’ll need to use GM’s diesel additive we have it available in our parts dept this way you won’t void your trucks warranty. 'uhNo
Of course at a premium price.
Who supplied and bottled GM’s diesel additive, Stanadyne. :surprise:

Reactions: rox5488

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
I am sure the SPICER test repeated yield different results today due to this research.

Maybe.....it's been a while since the study.
Or not
What would be their ROI? A feel good feeling of knowing their product has improved?

$$ profit is the driving factor on whether any improvements are made to a product that's selling fine as is. No?

While we in the Diesel community know of the Study, that's a small fraction of the total number of Diesel owners out there.
Marketing would be what owners see, or are pushed on 'em, as the next great thing to buy and use.

Another study would be nice. Probably will never happen after all the BS the 1st time around, from all of the naysayers alleging corruption and bribes on their findings.

It was almost as bad as all the 'hoes coming out of the woodwork over the Judge Kavanaugh hearings. :teehee

Reactions: rox5488
1 - 20 of 41 Posts