Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the head gaskets in my '05 LLY and was wondering what the best choice is. Would the factory head gaskets be the best choice or is there an aftermarket gasket that holds better? I will be reinstalling with ARP studs.

·
Registered
338 Posts
x2 ^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Factory OEM gaskets are best, but you must figure out what size you need by checking piston portrusion first.. C is the thickest IIRC.....

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
i got the grade c gasket. they are thicker and a better gasket. there are cut out or punch holes in the one end of the gasket. that tells you what gasket you need or what gasket was on the truck

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Alright thanks alot! How do I know which gasket I need?
As Durasmoke said, you can check what you are currently running and replace with the same grade, Assuming the heads do NOT need to be milled. You can check your heads for warpage with a strait edge and a light. If they are warped you will have to have them milled and then check the pistons pertrution to figure out what grade gasket you will need.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Also noticed you are installing head studs. If you are pulling the motor it is a good idea to have the cylinders trq honed when adding head studs as your cylinder dynamics will change. It is not mandatory and there are plenty of people running studs without issues or trq honing. I opted to have mine done since its no picnic dissasembling these engines:rolleyes: Good luck which ever direction you go :drink

1 - 8 of 8 Posts