Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried a search but nothing solid, just a ton of build threads but no comparison between the different brands.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Same, I'm also interested - Picked up a 2015 Denali LML yesterday.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I saw that too, same results.

I have a lot of respect for Banks but I find it difficult to believe that information, only because I cannot understand how everyone can "suck so bad" and Banks be the only one to get it right.

I would like some independent testing to show real world numbers and not synthetic benchmarks that can easily be "modified" for marketing purposes.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Has anyone looked at afe?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw that too, same results.

I have a lot of respect for Banks but I find it difficult to believe that information, only because I cannot understand how everyone can "suck so bad" and Banks be the only one to get it right.

I would like some independent testing to show real world numbers and not synthetic benchmarks that can easily be "modified" for marketing purposes.
If you look at them most are open in the engine bay, the stock unit pulls from the fender and the banks has a scoop.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I have an aFe on my Corvette, it's a nice unit. No clue about for the truck though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I went with S&B on my 2012 LML. It always seemed to me that the Banks relies on alot of shiny advertisng when it comes to promoting there products. A company can make numbers and graphs say what they want them to say.

I went with S&B due to the fact that I went with Duramaxtuner.com in regards to my tuning. They have power packages that utilize the S&B intake. So, my thinking was if they sell it with there autocal packages then its good enough for me.

One thing about ram air set ups, atleast through my own experience is that they have a tendency to suck up alot of road debris. I had one on a Fox Body Mustang that I had a few years ago and I would find leaves and other debris in it.

Maybe Banks has a different design so theres wont do that but, I would imagine anything mounted at bumper height would be exposed to all sorts of crap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was also told on the phone just a week ago that the Banks intake for the 2015's is different than previous year LML's..just in case anyone orders one.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got the S&B on my 2013 and love it....Not much louder but looks good. It has the clear cover so you can see the filter and I'm looking to delete in the next few months.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just picked up the S&B with dry filter for my 15. Good price and saw somewhere an magazine did an independant review that had good results. Noticed a little bit better down low response and a little bit deeper tone. Not sure on overall power or fuel economy yet though. Too soon to tell.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
I thought the s&b was not out for the 15s yet?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Me too I bought a AFE momentum hd intake for my 15 and only went with AFE case they didn't have the S&B out yet? Needless to say the fitment of the AFE is shit been trying to deal with AFE and its not really getting anywhere. Not very satisfied with AFE and will be buying an S&B when they are available.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Me too I bought a AFE momentum hd intake for my 15 and only went with AFE case they didn't have the S&B out yet? Needless to say the fitment of the AFE is shit been trying to deal with AFE and its not really getting anywhere. Not very satisfied with AFE and will be buying an S&B when they are available.
you get the stage 2? I had a little trouble with fitment. Got it on but it just didn't sit right, ya know? I'm having a momentum HD installed now and I'm going to look that thing over like crazy when I get it back.

***nevermind, saw the momentum HD note after I posted.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Yeah man the actual Intake tube is too short from the air box to the resonator. If they are connected the box won't fit into the grommets to hold the air box into place.when everything is tightened down it will pull the filter out of the housing at an angle. Real pain. I'll try ad get some pics later today. Kinda shitty to spend a good penny on an intake and get the " I've personally installed a lot on a duramax and never had any figment issues. Make sure you have the right part numbers and installed it correctly" response. Needless to say I'll be buying a s&b. I also had fitment issues with my drivers side IC pipe on my 2011 that was an afe.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought the kit for the 13-14 from S&B. Fit the Chevy 2015 just fine. The only issue is you need to plug the hole for the filter indicator because the 2015 truck does not have one but the kit has a hole for it.

·
Registered
820 Posts
What did you plug the hole with?

·
Registered
70 Posts
What did you plug the hole with?
I used a rubber plug that you get when you buy a line-set for an A/C system for a home. I beleive 5/8". It fits very snug and has a large shoulder on it so I am confident it won"t get sucked into the turbo.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts