Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys Well I Recently Bought A 09 Lmm Since Its My First Duramax, What Is The Best Motor Oil And The Best Oil Filter I Can Use???? What Do You All Use???

I Would Really Appreciate It

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
This should be fun! Oil Wars threads are always entertaining!

I run NAPA filters and Chevron Delo from Costco.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Synopsis:

If you want to do a oil change on a budget, over the counter and want conventional motor oil, go to Walmart and get a 2.5 Gallon jug of Shell Rotella T 15W/40 for $24.99 and go to Advance Auto or similar and get a Mobil 1 M1-303 or Bosch D3511 (same filter, different brand label) for $13. If you want synthetic over the counter, do Shell Rotella T6 5W/40 @ $19.99/Gallon at Walmart.

If you want to spend the extra money and do Amsoil like a lot of people here swear by, contact a member here that sells it and get it from them and order the Amsoil filter that goes with it. It supposedly lasts longer between oil change intervals (25k miles) but is significantly more expensive than conventional oil changes and still even more expensive than the Rotella T6.

Personally, I do the Over the Counter method with Rotella T6. See my thread on oil specials and you will see that with every 5 quarts of Castrol Syntec you get a free Bosch filter (good if you want to buy oil for another car you own).

·
Registered
138 Posts
I run CAT 15-40 ULS oil and an ACDElCO filter. I change my oil,fuel &transmission filter every 5,000 like clockwork.

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
I run mobil 1 TD, and m1-303 filter. I change my air filter, oil/oil filter, spin on ally filter, fuel filter, and clean mass air flow sensor every 10,000 miles whether they need it or not.

:popcorn

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
There are a lot of great opinions out there on what to run for oil and a oil filter. Do your research and you the search button on the forum. If you are interested in Amsoil, let me know and I can put you together some information for you.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Rotella T 15-40. Napa filter. My buddys 7.3 has over 500,000 mi on this stuff. No he's not a traveling salesman but owns bulldozers. 500,000 hard miles.:rockin

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
ACdelco is the best filter. Oil is up to you. I like Rotella T

·
Registered
201 Posts
just put oil in it and drive the bitch.

·
Registered
177 Posts
valvoline oil and napa filter here.....

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
AMSOIL 15w-40 and EA052 filter here..............

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I have and will continue to run AMSOIL oil and filter for the recommended extended drain intervals. I will also continue to pay less for my regular maintenance overall while also reducing the time I spend under the truck and disposing of all that waste oil.

Average 15K per year, changing conventional every 5K miles is three changes in a year. That is 30 quarts per year in waste oil and three filters. One my 2003 Max, I have changed the oil twice in three years and used a total of 20 quarts and two filters.

I also only spent about $180 in that three years. IF you change conventional every 5K at the average stated above at an average of $40 per change, that is still $120 per year for a total over the same three years of $360, IF you maintain those intervals.

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
419 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
thanks guys i dont want to start no oil wars or anything like that, but thanks for all the comments, going to go change the trucks oil later on today
If you really want to get something started ask about that K&N air filter your running:cool:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Right now I run Chevron Delo 15W 40 with Mobil 1 M1-303 changing every 5K. Thought about Amsoil but I just cant see myself going that long between changes and also just noticed this on their website

"•2007-2010 Dodge 6.7L, Ford 6.4L, GM 6.6L LMM light duty diesel pickups must follow OEM drain interval. Drain intervals can be extended further with oil analysis."

So IMOA that doesnt exactly boost my confidence in the product (definitely not challenging any amsoil dealers, just my opinion). I think I'm going to make the change to Rotella T6 on my next change and maybe stretch it to every 7500 with a filter change halfway through.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Right now I run Chevron Delo 15W 40 with Mobil 1 M1-303 changing every 5K. Thought about Amsoil but I just cant see myself going that long between changes and also just noticed this on their website

"•2007-2010 Dodge 6.7L, Ford 6.4L, GM 6.6L LMM light duty diesel pickups must follow OEM drain interval. Drain intervals can be extended further with oil analysis."

So IMOA that doesnt exactly boost my confidence in the product (definitely not challenging any amsoil dealers, just my opinion). I think I'm going to make the change to Rotella T6 on my next change and maybe stretch it to every 7500 with a filter change halfway through.
That is because of fuel dilution caused by the DPF

1 - 20 of 192 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.