Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 03 crew cab long bed 1ton 2wd dually basically all stock with 222000 miles the Turbo inlet has Been board and polished the exhaust is stock but straight piped and the airbox has been cut for better flow in to it and it has a 6" custom lift but thats all that has been done and I'm looking for the best programmer I can find for around $500-$600 ........ any advice will be greatly appreciated........ thanks in advance for the info........

·
Registered
875 Posts
Your best bet would be a pre-tuned ECM with EFI Live tunes. They can be had for anywhere from $325-$350 from different EFI Live tuners.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now with the pre tuned ecm is there more than one tune in there that I can change from one to the other??????

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Now with the pre tuned ecm is there more than one tune in there that I can change from one to the other??????
I strongly recommend the Autocal. I did the pre-tuned ECM, and trust me, if you have problems it is a PITA to have to sent it back in. I been there!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the autocal...... as you can tell I'm new to the programmers.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
mrmannors or sickdiesel, or any of the other reputable tuners can answer that question for you fairly easily. They would be happy to talk to you about it! All good guys!

·
Registered
55 Posts
X2^

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Autocal! Its like 650 iirc. Can load efi tunes, data log, read and clear codes. No down time while waiting for a pre tuned ecm. The way to go! Pre tuned ecms are 400-450 so for a little more you get a code reader and able to update tunes without down time.:thumb

Alligator, atp, duramaxtuner, dieselx all are good shops to go to for an autocal. And are all reputable tuners.

Bob olsen, Nick, Kory, Rob. Any of them youll be happy with!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much for the great info........ what do you guys think of the handheld programmers like the edge or Diablo or ones like that??????

·
Registered
328 Posts
Don't waste your time with the other programmers, do it right the first time and get Efi Live. Ask me how I know

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
328 Posts
Didn't know much when I first got my truck, I put my ppe programmer on lvl 4 and 5 and limped my transmission twice. If I had known about Efi live and its safer, better tunes I would've bought that instead.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Some programmers are harsher than others. The Banks Automind is pretty subtle. Good power. BUT..... You can't just switch tunes with the flip of a switch, which is why I am switching to EFI live. Plus I will get a turbo brake programmed in my tow tune.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Also, I have had the edge juice w/attitude, Banks six gun, and Banks Automind(currently for sale) and EFI is just better all around tuning. (Yes I have had EFI before)

·
Registered
53 Posts
if you want easy and fairly priced ive been happy with my PPE programmer 120 hp setting no problems with anything

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
It'a all about how much $$ you are willing to spend OP. They are all better than stock no matter how you look at it. It's just a matter of how deep your pockets are.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The exhaust break can be tuned in to the truck with efi live?????? I would need external boost and Pyro gauges though right????

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The exhaust break can be tuned in to the truck with efi live?????? I would need external boost and Pyro gauges though right????
Only on LLY and newer, not LB7's. It requires a variable vane turbo.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts