Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on towing about 10K trailer for about 3000 miles,that will be probably only time I will tow such a heavy trailer. I've found I have leaking rear shock (gray color) on 2500HD LBZ short bed w/ 6" CST lift & 35 wheels. Good timing to change those old shocks (y)

I've searched DF forum and so far seems like Bilsteins 5100 or Rancho (adjustable), not sure if these are for 6" lift.
Normal use/no off-roading except for local dirt road towards my home.

What are my options?
Where to get it? I've researched ppl like Summit or Shockwarehouse, else?

Thanx!

Reactions: scottydl

·
Registered
213 Posts
I recently bought and installed Bilstein 4600s (since my truck is stock height) on all 4 corners… with the help of YouTube and the right tools, it wasn’t too hard of a job.

Once I had the exact part #s for my truck from Bilstein’s website, I shopped around quite a bit to find the best online prices available. I ended up buying the front pair through Amazon, and the rear pair through Rock Auto. All of it for $277 which made the extra shopping legwork worthwhile.

You’ll want to search your necessary parts #s specifically or it’ll be too hard to narrow down prices with hundreds of different shock models. I took a quick look at the 5100s for a 2006 Sierra at Bilstein.com and they have a version for 4-6” front lift but only up to 4” rear lift. You might need to call them to get more details.

·
Registered
2021 Denali HD Fabtech Lift and 37s
397 Posts
I have Fox 2.0 Reservoirs with on my truck. I also have a 6" lift and tow around 10,000lbs. I don't have to go more than 500 miles with that load. Love them so far. I would suggest researching if you need to step up to 7-9" shocks so you are maxing out the 4-6" shocks. A few of us have had to do go to the 7-9s.

Reactions: pavel_J

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recently bought and installed Bilstein 4600s (since my truck is stock height) on all 4 corners… with the help of YouTube and the right tools, it wasn’t too hard of a job.

Once I had the exact part #s for my truck from Bilstein’s website, I shopped around quite a bit to find the best online prices available. I ended up buying the front pair through Amazon, and the rear pair through Rock Auto. All of it for $277 which made the extra legwork worthwhile.

You’ll want to search your parts #s specifically or it’ll be too hard to narrow down with hundreds of different models. I took a quick look at the 5100s for a 2006 Sierra at Bilstein.com and they have a version for 4-6” front lift but only up to 4” rear lift. You might need to call them to get more details.
Thank you scottydl!

Gotta have to wait for other recommendations. Might go take a pics of shocks to see if anyone recognize them.

I've found post here at DF about how to change shocks and i was SHOCKED :D:oops: how easy it is.

I have Fox 2.0 Reservoirs with on my truck. I also have a 6" lift and tow around 10,000lbs. I don't have to go more than 500 miles with that load. Love them so far. I would suggest researching if you need to step up to 7-9" shocks so you are maxing out the 4-6" shocks. A few of us have had to do go to the 7-9s.
Thanks Bruizza for your advice also!

I wonder if that's why one of rear is leaking. I only put 3000 miles on it since I bought it 8 months ago.
I'm planning on using weight distribution system so that should prevent from maxing out the rear ,no? :unsure:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
wow, so it looks like I have BDS shocks on this truck. Does anyone have any experience or know anything about these? Supposedly BDS is bought by FOX.

Rear I measured is 19" plus about 8 1/2" rod

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bruizza is it these Performance series that you have? They seem shorter than what I have currently.
I have found I have BDS and seems like they only have for 7" lift which seems is what I should get/ waiting for their response.
Haven't found 7-9" ones yet....

·
Registered
124 Posts
The Bilsteins 5100 are avail in different sizes and made for Lifted Trucks, at least they were a few years ago when I bought the 4600 for my stock truck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you mhs4771 ! The rear ones are only for 4" lift.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts