Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I need to replace my original Bilstein shocks that came with my 6" RCD lift. I purchased my 06 Duramax new and installed the lift a few weeks later. I just don't know what brand, what size, or where to order from? Any input is greatly appreciated. I have been browsing shock surplus.com. The three shocks I'm interested in are: Bilstein 5100 Rancho 9000XL Fox 2.0 Also, is a shock with a reservoir overkill and a waste, possible interested in mix and matching a set? My goal is to improve the ride and overall handling, which I'm not sure is realistic. Truck details: 06 Duramax, 86k miles, Nitto Trail Grappler MT 325 50/22. Use: Some light towing, dirt roads is the only dirt is sees ( on rare instances ). Mall Crawler. TIA

·
Registered
22 Posts
So, I need to replace my original Bilstein shocks that came with my 6" RCD lift. I purchased my 06 Duramax new and installed the lift a few weeks later. I just don't know what brand, what size, or where to order from? Any input is greatly appreciated. I have been browsing shock surplus.com. The three shocks I'm interested in are: Bilstein 5100 Rancho 9000XL Fox 2.0 Also, is a shock with a reservoir overkill and a waste, possible interested in mix and matching a set? My goal is to improve the ride and overall handling, which I'm not sure is realistic. Truck details: 06 Duramax, 86k miles, Nitto Trail Grappler MT 325 50/22. Use: Some light towing, dirt roads is the only dirt is sees ( on rare instances ). Mall Crawler. TIA
I have the 9000XL on my 06 LBZ CC LB SRW. Something has changed over the years with the shocks since the first set I purchased back in 2000 that I had on my 97 6.5 LB SRW, I loved them. Bought new set in 2018 and they don't ride nice they seem to be warn-out after 40k miles. Think they made them cheaper. Pretty soon I am going to try the Bilstein 5100. Not buying Racho anymore.

·
Registered
2007 Silverado CCSB 4X4 LBZ 6sp
156 Posts
I have the 9000XL on my 06 LBZ CC LB SRW. Something has changed over the years with the shocks since the first set I purchased back in 2000 that I had on my 97 6.5 LB SRW, I loved them. Bought new set in 2018 and they don't ride nice they seem to be warn-out after 40k miles. Think they made them cheaper. Pretty soon I am going to try the Bilstein 5100. Not buying Racho anymore.
There’s a good chance they are made cheaper. Most all things are done like that. Especially when there is an item that sells well and has been the same for years. They try to
Squeeze as much profit out of them. But there is a chance the set on your Ford were valved correctly and the set
You currently have are not valved as well or maybe can’t handle the weight difference? Just a thought.
but kings are also nice, icon, fox, bilsteins the brands that come to my mind first. Running two shocks maybe considered over kill. But if it’s done correctly the ride should be improved also the long term the dual shock set up should last longer since there more to carry the load so one shock is not working as hard as the two.At some point once I figure out what I want to do lift wise I do plan on going to the dual shock set up. Of I can afford it I will run kings or possibly icon. But I’m also gojng to have the shock valved specifically for my truck and the wheel and tire combo. Keep in mind the heavwry the wheels and tires the more of a load and stress is put on the shocks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts