Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Silverado 3500hd durmax crewcab longbed 4x4 single rear wheel

I am looking at towing a 5th wheel. Right now the truck has LT 275/70 R 18 tires (see pictures). I believe the stock tire is a 265, so I have a slightly larger tire.

Should I go back to the stock size tires for towing? Need to replace the tires looking for recommendations. Thanks!

Attachments

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Wow. You suffered thru the tread life of Generals on your truck?
(more patience than me)

Kinda depends on what you're towing (weight/size) in a 5er.

The Stock diameter tire is the optimum choice in relation to the stock gearing...the best truck performance pulling heavy.

However, with a SRW truck and a 5er, you can easily exceed the rear tire/axle weight rating with excessive pin weight. A larger tire will have an increased weight load, for a bit more when at the max PW.
But with that larger tire comes a harder work load on the truck to pull heavy up grades.

The LML has power to spare, so....

Insert tossing coin here.

On the specs, the 275 has 115lbs more rating, .6" taller and 10 less revs per mile, vs the 265.

230 lbs may or may not make a difference with your planned PW load.
And depending on the 5er weight, the .6" may or may not make a difference in the truck's performance.

Insert tossing a 2nd coin here.

As for moving away from the Generals....LTs in a 18" size can have a limited choice to choose from, vs 16" or 17" LTs.

Registered
As long as your not going with 35鈥-37鈥 tires, I鈥檓 pretty sure your dmax wont have any problems.
I went from factory 265鈥檚 to 285鈥檚 now 295鈥檚, 265鈥檚 31.6 high 295鈥檚 32.78 high, 295鈥檚 are about 1 1/2鈥 wider.
Speedo is corrected for the tires.
Now flip that coin :wink2:

Registered
As long as your not going with 35鈥-37鈥 tires, I鈥檓 pretty sure your dmax wont have any problems.
I went from factory 265鈥檚 to 285鈥檚 now 295鈥檚, 265鈥檚 31.6 high 295鈥檚 32.78 high, 295鈥檚 are about 1 1/2鈥 wider.
I second this. As long as you arent building a monster truck 1 or 2 sizes larger wont hurt, just correct the Speedo

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Wow. You suffered thru the tread life of Generals on your truck? (more patience than me)
Used truck, just got it. Are these tires junk? I've never run generals on any of my stuff, I don't know anything about them other than they aren't one of the big name brands.

Kinda depends on what you're towing (weight/size) in a 5er.

The Stock diameter tire is the optimum choice in relation to the stock gearing...the best truck performance pulling heavy.

However, with a SRW truck and a 5er, you can easily exceed the rear tire/axle weight rating with excessive pin weight. A larger tire will have an increased weight load, for a bit more when at the max PW.
But with that larger tire comes a harder work load on the truck to pull heavy up grades.

The LML has power to spare, so....

Insert tossing coin here.

As for moving away from the Generals....LTs in a 18" size can have a limited choice to choose from, vs 16" or 17" LTs.
Any recommendations on specific tires? Or at least manufacturers? Stay away from general?

What do you mean with "speedo"? Speedometer needs adjusting?

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
As you get taller than a stock tire, the speedometer is off...as in 10 less revs per mile on what is there now.

My experience with various General tires is, they seem to have a problem with the circle, in creating a round tire. Hard to balance, hard to keep balanced, poor treadwear, etc.

The Commercial LT I'd recommend, they don't offer in an 18". Sry.

Registered
The larger the tire the less number rotations which throws the speedo off.
Here click on this link below and enter some tire numbers on both columns, maybe something in the line of 265/70R16 on the first column 285/70R16 on the second column then look down at the mph difference.

The speedo will not automatically adjust for different size tires other than the same size that came on the truck from the factory

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator

Registered
Really happy with the Cooper Discoverer AT3s on my 2500. Not pulling a 5th wheel but when I vacation I load a golf cart in the bed and pull a 32鈥 bumper pull camper so I鈥檝e got some weight over the rear axle.

Registered
I like Michelins. Been running them on this truck since the factory tires wore out at 28,000 miles. Have run several different models and all of them have been great.

I also upsized my tires from the factory 245s to 265s. Made a 3% difference in the speedo reading which means at slower speeds, it's pretty accurate. At 70 mph on the speedo, I'm actually going 72. So, for a 2 size difference, not much change. I ran the factory size 245s for the first 207,000 miles and the 265s for the ~193,000. As far as towing. I can tell a tiny bit of difference, bt it ain't much.

Registered
I am a big fan of Michelin Defenders, ran on the last 3 trucks.
Tread life is fantastic, and quiet on the road.

I tow a 16400lb fifth wheel, I use a 285/60-20. Went larger to get what I need for capacity with my 2900lb pin weight. They are 1" taller all is good

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I like Michelins. Been running them on this truck since the factory tires wore out at 28,000 miles. Have run several different models and all of them have been great.

I also upsized my tires from the factory 245s to 265s. Made a 3% difference in the speedo reading which means at slower speeds, it's pretty accurate. At 70 mph on the speedo, I'm actually going 72. So, for a 2 size difference, not much change. I ran the factory size 245s for the first 207,000 miles and the 265s for the ~193,000. As far as towing. I can tell a tiny bit of difference, bt it ain't much.
I am a big fan of Michelin Defenders, ran on the last 3 trucks.
Tread life is fantastic, and quiet on the road.

I tow a 16400lb fifth wheel, I use a 285/60-20. Went larger to get what I need for capacity with my 2900lb pin weight. They are 1" taller all is good
I guess I'll go for the Defenders. Since it's basically a coin flip as to the 265 or 275's, I guess I will go with the 275's for a "cooler look"

Thanks to all

Registered
Ive had good luck with Michelin LTX AT2s, stockers for both Ford super duties and GM trucks as well so I guess they are doing something right.

Premium Member
Another vote here for Michelins. Put them on when I went with the 19.5s. Currently have approx 10k on the tires and show no signs of wear.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
AT2s are rock magnets.....if ya like chipped paint, go with 'em.

Registered
5 vehicles and ALL of them have Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires, (well except one has Michelin Pilots) . and they have been SUPER. I have tried a lesser tire on my crew/ work trucks and the down time of a crew changing a tire, or a flat on the highway towing a trailer,,, not worth the few hundred $ between Michelins and anything else. I put them on my wifes Yukon because I'm not taking a chance of her and the grandkids being off somewhere and having a flat. She hauls them all over the state to sporting events.

(KNOCK ON WOOD) I've had TWO (2) yes 'TWO' flat tires in the 34 years I've been running Michelin on everything I own. One was a cut sidewall from fractured rock in a open pit mine, the other was just recently (I can't prove, yet) but was a POS neighbor wedged a 40d nail under my tire. (Dispute over his insatusiously barking pit bull,, next we resolve it with Smith & Wessons!!!)

Hook-em is dead right as usual. The AT2s do sling more rock from the tread than the original AT's but whatcha gonna do.... Risk bown tire beating the crap out of the body,,, or some rock chips. (LoL)

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
I also didn't like the noise in later life. They were whisper quiet when new, but 'round 40%, the noise slowly increased.

The added '2' version of both the AT & MS was promoted as 'green'....considerable drop in mileage life compared to their predecessor.
(hindsight; the green were $$ earned, and not yours) Those old MS were an almost legendary rep, up to 100k.

They did last longer than other brands used on a DRW towing heavy...most others were done when approaching 40k miles. And with their 60/70k warranty, I said "game on".
However, I didn't read the fine print.
To be eligible for the warranty, you have to run 'em down to something ridiculous like 2/32".

4/32 is a slip-n-slide fest for towing, and forget about leaving on a green light if the pavement has the least bit of moisture on the pavement.
2/32".....:teehee

Not hating on 'em, just warning about the rock chip thing. The rockers, doors, and the hips quickly took a beating. Adding front flaps helped slow it down for the rockers, but the hips still suffered.

Once I knew, every time I stepped out and walked by one, I'd flip out the trapped rocks with my key. Losing battle.

Now this is the extreme, but I had to take a pic just for the laugh.
Had just parked it for the day and saw this.
Not the usual small gravel stuff seen in the treads, but still.
:teehee

Solution found was the R500HDs....a truck tire built for weight and towing. Quiet, even when worn.
So slow is the wear, I forget to rotate the 6 because I never notice any front tire wear.
Had a balance issue and went in to Discount, and found out the Last rotate period was....12,600 miles.

Time flies.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the great tips in here.

I measured my treads today on these general tires, they are:

FL 6/32
FR 9/32

RL 4/32
RR 7/32

I think the old rule of thumb was replace at 2/32... but I am about to start towing. I am on the fence about replacing tires right now because we have a lot of money going out since we just purchased a 5th wheel.

Would you guys replace at these levels?

Registered
YES,
I you have something like Craig鈥檚 list, sell your old tires on there, I sell all my old tires on Craig鈥檚 list, usually within 2 days.
2/32 rule of thumb is for people that don鈥檛 have money and not towing.

I usually replace mine around 6/32 -8/32, just because I鈥檝e found something else I want.
Had 285/70R17 G2鈥檚 with 8/32 that eventually went on my 79 Chevy K20 went with 295/55R20 RidgeGrapplers on my GMC 3500.
I Love the RidgeGrapplers, I did like the G2鈥檚.

Registered
I also didn't like the noise in later life. They were whisper quiet when new, but 'round 40%, the noise slowly increased.

The added '2' version of both the AT & MS was promoted as 'green'....considerable drop in mileage life compared to their predecessor.
(hindsight; the green were $$ earned, and not yours) Those old MS were an almost legendary rep, up to 100k.

They did last longer than other brands used on a DRW towing heavy...most others were done when approaching 40k miles. And with their 60/70k warranty, I said "game on".
However, I didn't read the fine print.
To be eligible for the warranty, you have to run 'em down to something ridiculous like 2/32".

4/32 is a slip-n-slide fest for towing, and forget about leaving on a green light if the pavement has the least bit of moisture on the pavement.
2/32".....:teehee

Not hating on 'em, just warning about the rock chip thing. The rockers, doors, and the hips quickly took a beating. Adding front flaps helped slow it down for the rockers, but the hips still suffered.

Once I knew, every time I stepped out and walked by one, I'd flip out the trapped rocks with my key. Losing battle.

Now this is the extreme, but I had to take a pic just for the laugh.
Had just parked it for the day and saw this.
Not the usual small gravel stuff seen in the treads, but still.
:teehee

Solution found was the R500HDs....a truck tire built for weight and towing. Quiet, even when worn.
So slow is the wear, I forget to rotate the 6 because I never notice any front tire wear.
Had a balance issue and went in to Discount, and found out the Last rotate period was....12,600 miles.

Time flies.
As far as I know Bridgestone does not make the Duravis R500 for an 18鈥 wheel. Hell they hide the Duravis line on their site.

Registered
Thanks for all the great tips in here.

I measured my treads today on these general tires, they are:

FL 6/32
FR 9/32

RL 4/32
RR 7/32

I think the old rule of thumb was replace at 2/32... but I am about to start towing. I am on the fence about replacing tires right now because we have a lot of money going out since we just purchased a 5th wheel.

Would you guys replace at these levels?

I would put the 2 deepest tread on the rear. Personally for towing I like a more worn down tire. The rubber just doesn't move as much. Much more stable in cross winds.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts