21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,290 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks to all the replies. Based on the feedback, I went with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. I stuck with LT275/70R18. That was on it before, even though the OEM is a 265 as discussed earlier.

The sticker on my door jamb says

FRT 60 PSI
RR 80 PSI
SPA 80 PSI

The tire shop inflated everything to 60 psi. Sounds like the rears should be at 80 psi, is that right? and I am assuming SPA is the spare? I didn't replace that, but I need to... it looks pretty old.

Attachments

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,290 Posts
That's based on the stock size tire. Bigger tire, larger load capacity, perhaps a lower psi than suggested for the same weight?

Do the chalk test empty, see what the tread footprint looks like with those numbers. Towing and empty can really differ, but over inflated rears on an empty truck in the rain can be fun.

You ran the same size as before, what did you run those at?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That's based on the stock size tire. Bigger tire, larger load capacity, perhaps a lower psi than suggested for the same weight?

Do the chalk test empty, see what the tread footprint looks like with those numbers. Towing and empty can really differ, but over inflated rears on an empty truck in the rain can be fun.

You ran the same size as before, what did you run those at?
Never checked them, bought the truck a couple months ago and it needed new tires.... never got around to checking the psi although it probably would have been a good idea.

How do I know if this vehicle has a TPMS? It's a 2011 3500HD. I can't remember when they mandated that. My 2012 grand cherokee has a TPMS but it won't tell you individual tires... just a dash light illuminates if one of the tires is under inflated. Wondering if I have at least that

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
I think you’ll find with pretty much any size E rated tire for these trucks 60-65 fronts 50-55 rears when empty, for a better ride.
Doing the chalk method will confirm what psi the thread will wear more evenly.
Towing 65 fronts and 75-80 rears.

I found using sidewalk chalk works pretty good, drive about 100-200 yards on flat pavement if the chalk wear is pretty even, your good.
Outside wears off quicker the psi is a little low, center wears off quicker the psi is a little high.

On tire for a spare if the tires you are replacing use the same size rim as the
spare, I’ll pick out the one that’s in the best condition and use it for a spare.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I don't put on new tires till the fall. Right now till then it's time to burn up all those extra wheels I have with half worn tread.

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
Also, consider upgrading the tires on the 5th wheel when you get it. Immediately if it comes with anything power king on it. or anything 8ply for that matter. I just got Goodyear endurance on mine. They are made in the good ol USA and should run great for our use.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Also, consider upgrading the tires on the 5th wheel when you get it. Immediately if it comes with anything power king on it. or anything 8ply for that matter. I just got Goodyear endurance on mine. They are made in the good ol USA and should run great for our use.
I’m wondering how many miles these Goodyear endurance tires are good for.'dunno;

·
Registered
160 Posts
You might want to consider upgrading to 14 ply trailer tires on your fifth wheel. Usually the tires on the trailer should be replaced every 6 to 8 years because of age not wear.Buy an actual trailer tire .

21 - 32 of 32 Posts