Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
A little more information.
What are you looking to accomplish?
There's lots of options depending on what you want in the end.

·
Registered
193 Posts
EFI-live, don’t waste your money on a bully dog or edge. Do it right the first time an only pay for it once.

Reactions: Sovtlml

·
Premium Member
10,144 Posts
EFI Live if you can find a tuner and a trans go shift kit.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Kory Willis
Starlite diesel Zac fuller
Idaho rob

Seem to be the big names I can think of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,144 Posts
Idaho Rob is gone, EPA shut him down and it's a shame.

Reactions: Super

·
Registered
629 Posts
Kennedy
I had some for sac 45's from Lincoln, but not sure if they do it anymore.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks guys I think I’m going with PPE
The PPE canned tuner has some pretty good reviews on it if you want to save a few bucks, if I’m not mistaken they are still selling emissions compliant tunes but even ive wonder since the 02 don’t have egr an such if we would now get the emissions tunes or still the same old tunes??!

·
Registered
629 Posts
I had a PPE for my 04 for a while. After I changed injectors & got EFI tunes I found the 30 HP EFI tune pulled my trailer better than the 90 HP PPE.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I ran mine on 90 all the time. Like I said my 30 hp EFI tune had more power than the PPE 90 hp tune.

Reactions: Mihilo

·
Registered
187 Posts
What would be the best tuner for my 2002 lb7
Most tuner companies are more smoke(literally) than fire, even if they get anywhere near their claimed performance increase(most dont), it will only be for a short time due to high egt's while seriously affecting emissions. Best bet is to look for a tune that is EPA and CARB approved, at least you know there has been some testing on it before you ruin your engine.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Most tuner companies are more smoke(literally) than fire, even if they get anywhere near their claimed performance increase(most dont), it will only be for a short time due to high egt's while seriously affecting emissions. Best bet is to look for a tune that is EPA and CARB approved, at least you know there has been some testing on it before you ruin your engine.
If your talking about a canned tune like edge, smarty, bully dog an super chips, then I agree, but if you get an actual EFI live tune off someone that knows what there doing then your not gonna have any smoke an harm to the engine unless you yourself abuse it

ok maybe a tad of smoke from a legit tuner cause after all it is a diesel an it’s the nature to smoke once you turn the power up, find us all a tune that works 100% with no smoke an im sure we’ll all be happy to put it on our trucks

·
Registered
187 Posts
If your talking about a canned tune like edge, smarty, bully dog an super chips, then I agree, but if you get an actual EFI live tune off someone that knows what there doing then your not gonna have any smoke an harm to the engine unless you yourself abuse it

ok maybe a tad of smoke from a legit tuner cause after all it is a diesel an it’s the nature to smoke once you turn the power up, find us all a tune that works 100% with no smoke an im sure we’ll all be happy to put it on our trucks
It is a complicated and difficult task to tune a diesel to get the best power, torque, emissions and fuel economy, while maintaining a sensible EGT and load on the engine bearings etc. Not easily done without expensive resources, capable staff and a lot of time and $$. The data I have seen from many tuners is that they dont deliver anywhere close to what they claim, what they do get is at the expense of high egt that is not sustainable for more than a short time and of course always with excessive emissions. Very few companies go the trouble and expense of getting EPA and CARB approval, if they do then you stand a reasonable chance of getting a quality product.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts