Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals.

I'm looking for a bit of information on the 09 Duramax and the best upgrade choices. I'm actually writing on behalf of a customer. I won't lie for a minute, diesels aren't my area of expertise but I'll do the best I can to explain what I'm trying to accomplish. Basically the customer is looking for more power out of his 2009 GMC 2500 HD.

All of the past upgrades where performed by a different shop who seemed to just throw parts at it instead of doing the proper research before performing the upgrades. My goal is not to continue throwing money at it. However, that being said I'm sure the customer is willing to spend where I can prove it may be necessary. The customer feels that his truck should have more get up and go then it does now. I would have to agree. Don't get me wrong its not bad, but in comparison I feel something is choking this engine.

I'm comparing it to two things. We have 2006 Ram Cummings shop truck (intake, exhaust, programmer, tq converter, 35" tires) and a friend's 2006 Silverado 2500 HD (turbo back exhaust 4" to 5", programmer, intake, 37" tires, ect). Both of these trucks feel like they would smoke the 09. The 2006 will spin its 37" tires a mile down the road, where the 2009 will hardly chirp its 35" tires.

So my question is what upgrades would be best for a 2009 2500 HD. From what I can tell the truck already has the following upgrades.
-Banks ram air intake system
-Banks six-gun diesel tuner & Banks IQ (on 6/max performance setting)
-Banks split-dual Monster exhaust system.

It looks to me like the turbo elbow and downpipe could be upgraded, they seem a bit small but like I said I don't want to just keep throwing money at it. So what do you guys think would be the best performance upgrades for this truck?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
Get a better programmer.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, from what I was reading the banks programmer seemed like one of the best on the market however that might have just been on a stock truck or someone who doesn't need something with more options. Anyway what do you guys recommend for a programmer that can do that? And you say deleting the dpf will make a substantial difference? I'm guessing the use of the egr system must be one of the big differences in the last generation vs this one, which makes sense why the older gen trucks seems to work much better when all the basics are the same?

·
Registered
994 Posts
For the best performance, I have done a lot of reading that EFI Live is the very best option. Then I think the Edge evo race maybe ?!?
And yes, the DPF greatly restricts the LMM engines.

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
Edge Evo Race if you dont want efi live.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts