Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet to purchase a d-max but i am hopefully going to soon. I am trying to figure out the best version for my needs. I do not tow anything heavier and a 18ft boat and i dont do that very often. So my main concern is empty MPG's. I was wanting to get some info from you all on that subject. I am just looking at the Lb7, LLY, and the LBZ versions. I probably wont have a lot of cash to dump into mods right away so that is why i wanted to get some numbers from you all. I know the LBZ is the best overall from what i have read and barring some really different mpg numbers that is probably the version i am going to try to get my hands on. I appreciate all the help. :thumb

·
Registered
4,174 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
LB7's have injector issues, early LLY's have heating and head gasket problems, the late LLY's and the LBZ's are the most reliable and most expensive. Mileage goes to the LB7's, but an EFI Live tuned LBZ does very well. At 75-80 I get 19-19.5 mpg. At 65 I will push 24. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I have yet to purchase a d-max but i am hopefully going to soon. I am trying to figure out the best version for my needs. I do not tow anything heavier and a 18ft boat and i dont do that very often. So my main concern is empty MPG's. I was wanting to get some info from you all on that subject. I am just looking at the Lb7, LLY, and the LBZ versions. I probably wont have a lot of cash to dump into mods right away so that is why i wanted to get some numbers from you all. I know the LBZ is the best overall from what i have read and barring some really different mpg numbers that is probably the version i am going to try to get my hands on. I appreciate all the help. :thumb
welcome to the forum but why make a thread if you've already read it! :cookoo[1]:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really appreciate everybody's input. Those LBZ numbers are pretty impressive and i really dont feel like taking the chance on an LB7 and having to replace injectors. I thank everybody for the help in making my decision. Im going to go with an LBZ. Thanks again everybody.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Cant go wrong with 06 and newer motors

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
441 Posts
My LB7's been great, but I've only owned it for 25,000kms. The injectors were done just before I bought the truck, so I'm not worried about them. at 120km/h going through BC (there's a lot of hills here) I can get 18.77MPG

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
908 Posts
Most LB7 had the injector issue corrected. If you do buy one, make sure you read the balance rates or have them checked.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have an lbz get 21 mpg on highway love everything about it and 06 (lbz) and newer has a 6 speed trans

·
it stinks and whistles :)
5,349 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
908 Posts
Bu corrected I mean that most trucks had the updated injectors put in. Some did not. Even the updated injectors will fail more commonly than LLY, LBZ, LMM or LML. I'm just saying the LB7 injector issue shouldn't scare you away from these trucks. If they do go out they are fairly easy to replace, for around $2000+-. If you find a good LB7 that you like, get it checked out and buy it.

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
908 Posts
I know I checked into my truck before I bought it. Had dealer installed injectors at 175,000. Tested the balance rates at 238,000 when I bought it and they all read between +-3

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know I checked into my truck before I bought it. Had dealer installed injectors at 175,000. Tested the balance rates at 238,000 when I bought it and they all read between +-3
Thanks for the info. Ill keep it in mind. :neener

1 - 20 of 23 Posts