Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've protected my truck with the usual but I'd like to go further towards cooling my oil.

What has worked the best for other members? Some actual data would be nice.

I'm no diesel expert and I've made many mistakes with this truck but I keep it as clean internally as possible and I'd like to do the same for temperature.

Attachments

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
Well an oil cooler works best and your truck already has one.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil temps on these trucks routinely, in TEXAS, reach levels I'm not comfortable with. Breaks the oil downs and waalaa engine life decreased.
There has to be more I can do but its over my head.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
You can add a aux oil cooler

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
What oil temp are you seeing? Do you have a gauge or are you just going off what someone told you?

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Between traffic and heat here, our oil does get worked to the extreme.

Take the guess out, you can easily/cheaply add an oil temp sensor/gauge at the filter head, as ECTs aren't the best source of true heat levels.
Run a better syn oil that won't thin out and plummet oil pressure at higher temps, Get off of it when it spikes and wait for the OEM cooler to catch up, run oil analysis to be assured it's keeping up with lubricity.

Or try and piece together an Aux oil cooler, capable of handling the high flow volume needed. Just under $1k, plus fab/machining.

A reasonably priced all-in-one kit would really sell well.....:farmer

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My neighbor has a gauge and hauls an RV and has been seeing temps above 275 and better at times. I don't haul high nor heavy loads with mine much anymore but I'd like to reduce the temps as much as possible.
I think I will add an auxiliary unit sooner or later I'm just wanting to know what others have done in regards to this.
If you fine with your stock trucks, truly I'm happy for you, don't think its necessary then this really isn't the thread for you.
I'm just wondering what others have done.

Thanks for the input thus far

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Hook em

I've been looking at different systems and even at making my own.

I was down your way the other day man o man do I love the 85 mph speed limit between Austin and San Antonio!

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another forum had four different guys who had built their own and thinking I may just copy those designs!

Didn't notice a ™ symbol... lol

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's perfect! Thanks for the link!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
You bet boss! There is another HUGE thread on oil cooling in the hard parts sub-forum. Really useful stuff in that one too.

I'll dig it up too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oil temps on these trucks routinely, in TEXAS, reach levels I'm not comfortable with. Breaks the oil downs and waalaa engine life decreased.
There has to be more I can do but its over my head.
Aux oil cooler. Hamburger performance products makes a non thermo sandwich adapter for the oil filter mount. I'm using a 30row x 3 rows deep cooler with a 9" fan and square shroud , have a 2 pole thermo switch 160/145 on/off relay powered on switched power. it's not mounted to the radiator. I made brackets to hold it away from the radiator . 10 or 12AN lines,fittings,hose clamp/alignment clamps .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts