Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting RDL manifolds and up pipes on and I need to drain the coolant so I can install his coolant line relocator.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
drain on ground
walk off like a bawse

·
Registered
1,834 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Big plastic storage bin is what I'm going to use, and give the old stuff the auto hobby shop.
Going back with new coolant and distilled water.

·
Registered
117 Posts
How often should you drain and replace the coolant? I've never done it yet but I'm thinking it might be time? My truck is 4 years old and I just bought a huge 5th wheel.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
i run a hose from my drain to a small river so it doesnt make a mess

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
70K on mine and it looked like new... if looks matter.
Nice design on the lower radiator hose connection though. Very quick and easy to drain. Gotta remove the passenger wheel well (like every other project), pull the wire clip and wiggle it off. My storage bin 1.5' x 2.5' was just big enough to catch it all.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
IIRC every 50 thow
I think dexcool is 100k. The green stuff is 50k.

Just be sure and put dexcool back in and NOT green stuff. Green and dexcool mix and form a muddy sludge that plugs up your cooling system something fierce!

Sent from my old skool Droid

·
Registered
9 Posts
Or while you have the downtime grab a 1-1/2" x 6 stainless nipple, two 1/2"x3 stainless nipples and a 1/2" ball valve. Weld/drill tap into the big nipple dead centerwith the small one, add valve and put the other half inch nipple on the other side so you can connect a hose to it. Split lower hose and slip it in. Took half an hour and no more mess!:drink

·
Registered
330 Posts
Run Permanent CAT coolant, good for 6 years or 600,000

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
Or while you have the downtime grab a 1-1/2" x 6 stainless nipple, two 1/2"x3 stainless nipples and a 1/2" ball valve. Weld/drill tap into the big nipple dead centerwith the small one, add valve and put the other half inch nipple on the other side so you can connect a hose to it. Split lower hose and slip it in. Took half an hour and no more mess!:drink
Hmmm . . . a Fumoto valve for the coolant. Great idea, thanks. :thumb

1 - 20 of 21 Posts