Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
28 Posts
thanks for the heads up i never seen those results before. wow k&n sure is a lousy filter ! i used to beleave in k&n for my hopped up 69 nova.were they always that bad at filtering? or have they gotten worse. my air filter i bought for my nova back in 91 was lifetime warr. wash and oil just like they are now it even came with some kind of outer filter pad that went arround it with big k&n decals on it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh no, no...they are fine on gas engines. In fact they're very good for gas engines. The compression is much lower on gas engines. But they just are not good for diesel engines, especially over a long period of time. The more you compress the air the more it and whatever is in it moves around very quickly...whatever is moving will eventually hit something, likely your cylinder walls eventually chewing away at the crosshatch giving you blowby....and you're all done then. There's a guy on the PSD forum right now that has bad blowby. So bad that it's going through the turbo...
In order to increase airflow you have to either englarge the filtering holes, or englarge the surface area. I'd personally order up a BHAF. It flows 680 cfm....paper filter, excellent flow and filtration, relatively cheap....

·
Registered
28 Posts
thanks i didnt know if i was doing my ole car justice or hurting it lol.my next item is a air intake kit. im trying to find the best one to use without shelling out a fortune! btw what does bhaf stand for
thanks
duramaxxed

Did A Dura Do Dat said:
Oh no, no...they are fine on gas engines. In fact they're very good for gas engines. The compression is much lower on gas engines. But they just are not good for diesel engines, especially over a long period of time. The more you compress the air the more it and whatever is in it moves around very quickly...whatever is moving will eventually hit something, likely your cylinder walls eventually chewing away at the crosshatch giving you blowby....and you're all done then. There's a guy on the PSD forum right now that has bad blowby. So bad that it's going through the turbo...
In order to increase airflow you have to either englarge the filtering holes, or englarge the surface area. I'd personally order up a BHAF. It flows 680 cfm....paper filter, excellent flow and filtration, relatively cheap....

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BHAF stands for Big Honkin' Air Filter...it's kind of a nickname that it got. It's basically a gigantic circular air filter that you can get at napa and carquest, and other places. Do an e-bay search for one and you'll see what i'm talking about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts