Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The projectors on these 17s are decent, but is there an upgrade? it is a work truck, but I take it everywhere. So I’d like to know what y’all got for brighter lighting. New ballasts or housings or what!

·
Premium Member
443 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Also lightwerkz just has 25% off till nov26 Black Friday sale.

·
Registered
37 Posts
https://www.nhtsa.gov/ If enough people complain and they determine it needs to be fixed then yes a recall could happen. I told GM customer engagement that some have fixed it with aftermarket bulbs and they told me if i did that to keep the reciept so if there was a recall i could get reimbursed. I have no plans of giving up on getting them to fix this. Its going to cost them one way or another.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Was it easy to do and is the light output similar or better ?
If your talking me then yeah it was easy. Just like swapping a bulb. I only swapped for light output. I haven’t driven a ton at night as I hated the light output of these trucks. I have had a few. The ones I got were the vled ones. Supposed to be pretty good.
We will see once I drive it. I will pay attention to shaking as well if any on my setup.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Mini D2S 5.0, 35w ballasts (potted denso), osram nightbreaker laser d2s bulbs, adapter brackets, wiring harness and a pair (2) capacitors.

Headlights don’t need to be separated from there lense, all work is done from the rear of the headlight. Snow and freezing rain will not be a problem like it will be using an led bulb, IF you encounter such weather.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Last weekend I completely upgraded my lighting system. I am notoriously bad at documenting my projects so I don't have any cool before / after photos or during build photos of anything I get into it and when I'm done realize I didn't take any pics.

Procurement:

I purchased the Complete Vehicle Specific Retrofit Kit: Chevy Silverado 14+ kit from LightWerkz. I was inspired by the excellent how-to doc that Audiomixer put together. This kit was not identical to his setup that he outlines in his document and there were a few curveballs, but overall I couldn't be happier with the performance! I went with the NHK G5-EX Projectors, and the SILVERADO adapter brackets it comes with are perfect out of the box.

I also added the Morimoto XB Foglights. (I figured out with the current discounts at Christmas time they were $15 less expensive to buy them separately than adding them onto the 'package' with the HID System.) I put the Fogs in the day before I did the HID system and those by themselves were better than the stock projectors!

I also upgraded the high beams to the Morimoto 2.0Stroke LED's. I figured LED would be a better option than some kind of HID high beam system because of strike time, warmup, etc. My high beam driving generally consists of short bursts instead of continuous steady-on situations. They sell cap extensions because generally the rear of the LED's are much larger than the stock bulbs, however I didn't need the cap extensions to fit this product in the housing.

I went with 5500k for everything, and the color of the HID's match the LEDs very well (as they should). The look from the front when they are on is a crisp white, doesn't seem blue to me except for right at the cutoff line. They actually also look better when looking at the truck as well IMO. The G5-EX have a slight blue tint to the projector lens. Looks kind of cool with the lights off if you are looking for it. Not really noticeable if you aren't specifically looking for it.

I also popped in some Morimoto LED reverse bulbs from The Retrofit Source, took maybe 4 minutes and are much brighter than stock.

Challenges: I wasn't expecting the HID bulbs to have generic male spade connectors for the connection to the factory low-beam plug. No big deal, cut off the factory plug and put on my own female spade connectors, nice shrink wrap on the final connections, turned out great.

The Hylux ballasts seem like quality pieces, my only challenge was there are two different "black boxes" in-line with the signal wire as well as the power wires. I struggled a bit to figure out how to properly mount all three components because only the ballast box itself comes with mounting holes. I watched some youtube videos to see how other guys were doing it and it seemed like everyone was just zip-tying everything and letting it hang. That wasn't going to work for me I am all to familiar with the lack of longevity of zip ties in an engine compartment. I ended up using the rubber/plastic RG6 Coax Cable Clips with self-tappers to secure the wiring on each side of the black boxes. The perfect placement is just as Audiomixer describes, there is a vertical radiator support rail that is a nice enclosed section (so you can't drill into anything on the back side). This part actually turned out better than I thought it would. It wasn't until I was done that I figured I should have also put some 3M Mounting tape behind the black boxes as well, but they are definitely not going anywhere.

Getting to and finding the 4th headlight bolt isn't much fun and I honestly wonder why they even need it, the headlights themselves seem very secure with just the easily accessible 3 bolts.

I bought LED Turn signal bulbs for the front, and didn't end up using them for two reasons. Reason #1 I couldn't really tell a difference in light output between the stock bulb and these new bulbs, stock actually seemed brighter to me. Reason #2 I spent a lot of time trying to get the resistors to work properly but never fully figured it out. Wiring diagrams on GMUPFITTER were very clear and have wire colors, etc I just wasn't able to make it work with the two resistors and the two bulbs. I was able to get one to work without hyperflash but not both. The wiring isn't as straightforward as I was hoping. Maybe someone could shed some experience in this area. For now I am happy without them.

I guess I didn't fully pay attention to the kit I ordered but I figured I would be running a new wiring harness to the battery based on videos I had watched. This setup all uses the factory wiring harness for power.

Overall performance: Low beam is leaps and bounds better. Can't even really compare the two. Factory lights seem like something that would be on a 70's motorcycle and now it is brought up to current technology.

The Bi-Xenon shutters on the G5-EX effectively give you 4 high beams. The high beams are so incredibly bright I bet I have over a mile of visibility. The first time I kicked on the high beams while on my test drive I was laughing like a little kid. Plenty of light power for my mountain driving now. Any deer that find themselves in the path of these high beams will probably just vaporize.

·
Ain't lookin' back
274 Posts
What you did in a weekend, I've been working on for it a year. I got in a really bad accident that totalled my 2011 dually. Since then, with this 2018, I wanted to make sure drivers could see me and I could see them.

Christmas weekend I upgraded my lows, highs, and fogs to the supernova v.4 led bulbs. Absolutely impressed. The lows are a heck of a lot better than the stock bulbs, but I don't know how they compare to a 35W HID setup.

At some point vehicle owners shouldn't have to do all the bulb swaps to make the lights brighter and the beam patterns better...

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Last weekend I completely upgraded my lighting system. I am notoriously bad at documenting my projects so I don't have any cool before / after photos or during build photos of anything I get into it and when I'm done realize I didn't take any pics.

Procurement:

I purchased the Complete Vehicle Specific Retrofit Kit: Chevy Silverado 14+ kit from LightWerkz. I was inspired by the excellent how-to doc that Audiomixer put together. This kit was not identical to his setup that he outlines in his document and there were a few curveballs, but overall I couldn't be happier with the performance! I went with the NHK G5-EX Projectors, and the SILVERADO adapter brackets it comes with are perfect out of the box.

I also added the Morimoto XB Foglights. (I figured out with the current discounts at Christmas time they were $15 less expensive to buy them separately than adding them onto the 'package' with the HID System.) I put the Fogs in the day before I did the HID system and those by themselves were better than the stock projectors!

I also upgraded the high beams to the Morimoto 2.0Stroke LED's. I figured LED would be a better option than some kind of HID high beam system because of strike time, warmup, etc. My high beam driving generally consists of short bursts instead of continuous steady-on situations. They sell cap extensions because generally the rear of the LED's are much larger than the stock bulbs, however I didn't need the cap extensions to fit this product in the housing.

I went with 5500k for everything, and the color of the HID's match the LEDs very well (as they should). The look from the front when they are on is a crisp white, doesn't seem blue to me except for right at the cutoff line. They actually also look better when looking at the truck as well IMO. The G5-EX have a slight blue tint to the projector lens. Looks kind of cool with the lights off if you are looking for it. Not really noticeable if you aren't specifically looking for it.

I also popped in some Morimoto LED reverse bulbs from The Retrofit Source, took maybe 4 minutes and are much brighter than stock.

Challenges: I wasn't expecting the HID bulbs to have generic male spade connectors for the connection to the factory low-beam plug. No big deal, cut off the factory plug and put on my own female spade connectors, nice shrink wrap on the final connections, turned out great.

The Hylux ballasts seem like quality pieces, my only challenge was there are two different "black boxes" in-line with the signal wire as well as the power wires. I struggled a bit to figure out how to properly mount all three components because only the ballast box itself comes with mounting holes. I watched some youtube videos to see how other guys were doing it and it seemed like everyone was just zip-tying everything and letting it hang. That wasn't going to work for me I am all to familiar with the lack of longevity of zip ties in an engine compartment. I ended up using the rubber/plastic RG6 Coax Cable Clips with self-tappers to secure the wiring on each side of the black boxes. The perfect placement is just as Audiomixer describes, there is a vertical radiator support rail that is a nice enclosed section (so you can't drill into anything on the back side). This part actually turned out better than I thought it would. It wasn't until I was done that I figured I should have also put some 3M Mounting tape behind the black boxes as well, but they are definitely not going anywhere.

Getting to and finding the 4th headlight bolt isn't much fun and I honestly wonder why they even need it, the headlights themselves seem very secure with just the easily accessible 3 bolts.

I bought LED Turn signal bulbs for the front, and didn't end up using them for two reasons. Reason #1 I couldn't really tell a difference in light output between the stock bulb and these new bulbs, stock actually seemed brighter to me. Reason #2 I spent a lot of time trying to get the resistors to work properly but never fully figured it out. Wiring diagrams on GMUPFITTER were very clear and have wire colors, etc I just wasn't able to make it work with the two resistors and the two bulbs. I was able to get one to work without hyperflash but not both. The wiring isn't as straightforward as I was hoping. Maybe someone could shed some experience in this area. For now I am happy without them.

I guess I didn't fully pay attention to the kit I ordered but I figured I would be running a new wiring harness to the battery based on videos I had watched. This setup all uses the factory wiring harness for power.

Overall performance: Low beam is leaps and bounds better. Can't even really compare the two. Factory lights seem like something that would be on a 70's motorcycle and now it is brought up to current technology.

The Bi-Xenon shutters on the G5-EX effectively give you 4 high beams. The high beams are so incredibly bright I bet I have over a mile of visibility. The first time I kicked on the high beams while on my test drive I was laughing like a little kid. Plenty of light power for my mountain driving now. Any deer that find themselves in the path of these high beams will probably just vaporize.

I would like to see a picture of this to see the colors together. One of my next projects is going to be cab lights, projectors, HID lows, led highs, led fogs and running/turn. All Morimoto except for the cab lights.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here are some pics. Not the greatest as there are some lights on in this parking lot i was just adjusting the lights and snapped some. If you want something else just let me know. Also found a pic of the ballast attachments.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Perfect Thank You. I can’t wait to get to this. I really dislike the stock yellow looking headlights. That looks great.👍

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also just ordered the switchback mirror lights from Boost Auto parts as well as the 6 high kit. I also got the mirror reverse light kit that automatically turns on the mirror spot lights when you put it in reverse. Not too sure i will actually like that or not but figured i would try it. I was looking at the white marker lights today as well. Believe those were recons.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Man the photos really get crappy when you upload them via mobile... I don't have much experience uploading pics.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I also just ordered the switchback mirror lights from Boost Auto parts as well as the 6 high kit. I also got the mirror reverse light kit that automatically turns on the mirror spot lights when you put it in reverse. Not too sure i will actually like that or not but figured i would try it. I was looking at the white marker lights today as well. Believe those were recons.
If you do the mirror switchbacks and white marker lights are you going to switch the turn signals to switchbacks?
Now you got me thinking, the amber looks good, but white/amber switchbacks would look cool. I am definitely ordering the 6 high kit.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
If you didnt get a wiring harness, i would recommend getting one and using it still. At the very least your isolating all the bsllasts to there own circuit seperate from the factory wiring. If you had a wiring ussue, i would hate for warantee work to be denied because of the additions to your lighting circuit.

You will love the mirrors im sure, debating which set to go with on my own truck :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts