Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 GMC 2500hd duramax has 126,000 miles so I had a right rear brake pad explode grinding the metal backing plate into the rotor. Here starts the crap all bolts needed extreme heat to get the caliper and brackets loose, even when pre treated with pb oil. Then the rotors shatter when hit with a hammer which you have to use to get them over the e-brake shoes. The shoe lining comes off as it catches on the lip of the inside rotor.

A complete new brake job with all rotors needing replaced along with calipers as the bleeders wither twist off or round off. When heating front right upper caliper mount bolt you need to take the brake hose off and out of way or heat bubbles outside of hose. Also you may damage the anti-lock sensor wire from having to heat the upper bolt even when pointing heat away from it.

Crap materials and lack of anti-seize tell GM's greedy CEO to take a pay cut and invest in quality.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,906 Posts
Sound to me like a lack of maintenance to me, not a 'GM needs to stop using crap materials' problem... I've got 215k on my truck and never had any problem like that...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Real Deal

No other mechanics have but the GM/UAW quality team have been getting quite a few calls on this issue, talked with them this afternoon GMC gave me a case number. There is no maintenance problem with seized bolts and poor quality material, which is easy to spot with 13 years in the steel manufacturing industry. It took 190k before I needed brakes on my 1996 2500 diesel and then just turn the rotors and pads.

·
Registered
83 Posts

I did pads/rotors on all 4 corners a couple weeks ago. Spent more time lifting and removing wheels than actually dicking with the brakes. Actually one of the easier brake jobs I've done.

1/2" breaker bar/pipe combo for removing the caliper mounting bolts - didn't need heat for any of them. They are coated with locktite, so heat will help soften that up.

Front rotors literally 'fell off' once I removed the retaining clips

Back the parking brake drum off the rear rotors and they'll more or less fall off as well.

Regular maintenance and some strategic thinking is all it takes :)

·
Registered
2,538 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
A 3/8 air ratchet and swivel sockets will set u free. :thumb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts