Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the look of both tires and going with 285 no matter what tire i get next. I tow 10k loads almost once or twice a week during the summer. The Gerneral grabber at2 285 tire is a D rated tire, so max psi is 65, while the KO is E and 80 psi? First off, how many of you guys actually run 80psi when you tow? is there much difference between 65 and 80PSI? I know it will ride ruffer, but if it really helps for towing i'd be ok with it. the 265 general grabbert at2 is E rated, which is just a slightly smaller tire. Could i run the 285 at2 at 70-75 PSI and be ok? Will running 75-80 PSI help with tire wear? thanks

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I had 285 bfgs in D rated. I never maxed out the tire pressure. I would go with whichever you can get the best deal. I have had good luck w/ bfgs. The e rated tires should last a little longer.

·
Registered
353 Posts
BFG

Michelin Product.. Nuff Said

·
Legennn... wait for it...
1,833 Posts
I had the Grabbers on my '03. Loved 'em. Someone once told me that they bought the old tread pattern from the BFG A/T's (before the K/Os came out) but I never could confirm it. Mine worked great, were quiet on the highway, and could get me where I wanted to go...

... and they cost a bit less with a similar warranty

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
My vote is the BFG's.. great all around tire with amazing tread life in my book

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I had both. The generals lasted longer and the BFG's where better in the snow.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I like my 285 BFG AT KO's. They are also a load range E. I keep them at 65 PSI front and 60 PSI rear unloaded and they ride good. Then just put about 15 more pounds of air in them to tow and they work great. And they work good in the snow and ice around here.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I also vote BFG is the best AT tire made. I have had a total of 5 sets of them, two on my current Duramax and they give me great mileage. Very happy with that tire for an all terrain.

·
Registered
437 Posts
My vote is the BFG's.. great all around tire with amazing tread life in my book
Same here, just waiting for the Nitto's to finish wearing out which won't be long. I had a set of BFG's before, kinda price but well worth the $$ in longevity.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you run over the max psi for the grabber at2? Its max is 65, what would happen if i ran it at 75psi? The grabbers are almost $200 cheaper but i'm worried that its a D tire and would wear quicker if i can only inflate to 65 psi while towing.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
65 psi while towing is plenty. I never had my 285 "Ds" at max pressure. I would run 55 front and 50 rear. I got about 50,000 miles out of them. Could have gone longer if winter wouldn't have been coming.

I would not run over the max tire pressure though. 65 psi on most 285 D rated tires can handle more weight per tire than the stock 245 E rated tires.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What would be best for towing. I'm going with spacers no matter what cuz i want a slightly wider stance

305's with 1 1/2" spacers

285's with 2" spacers

I also plow in winter. I used 305s last winter and did fine with them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts