Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've picked a wheel. A nice 17 in XD. Got an awesome price from Discount Tire Direct.

Now I need to pick a tire. I read pretty near every thread about these tires on this forum. Then I went to the Powerstroke and Cummins forums just to be safe, then the Tire Rack, 1010tires, Discount Tire and read all the reviews. Read a whole lot of conflicting reviews of course.

Photoshopped the hell out of the my truck with wheel and tire combos.

Finally I'm left trying to pick one of these 2 tires.

I have had the BFG before, but sold the truck after about 10k. Seemed to work well, but they were on a half ton. Not sold on the looks. Worried about people saying they're not great in rain or snow. Through the threads I've read, it seems the BFGs will be the longer lasting tire.

Love the look of the Nitto Trails, but worried about the "squirlley" feel a lot of 1 ton guys have been noticing. Also worried about the noise of the mud tire. I've never had muds before, and it seems that most people that are saying the Trails are quiet are actually coming from another true mudder not an AT.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest, so my conditions are pretty much non stop rain, and 5-6 decent snowstorms per year, nothing too crazy, but my drive way is about 50 yards of asphalt hill to climb out of every morning and drive down every night, so I wouldn't mind some input on icy/snowy grip, not just ability to plow through on flatland. Other than that, it's split city /highway driving. I never have occasion to drive in any deep mud. Some light towing about 4-5k.

Looking for any detailed opinion or advice to help make my choice. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have drove on many sets of the BFGs in the snow and they do pretty good. Even off road they do pretty good. Although its not a mud tire and hard to compare it to a mud tire. That is something to think about. It sounds like you may be better suited with an AT than a MT since you only have a few snow storms and no real mud. The BFGs are quite, handle good, last a long time, BUT they are rock slingers. That is the only real down fall to the BFG.

I have only driven on 1 set of trail grapplers. Truck is an F150 with 325/50/22 on it. They make some noise at speed but around 60-65 they start making some horrible niose/vibration. And its only in that range. We have balanced them 3-4 times and still have the same results. They have done that since new. They have worn funny since new, and the truck is in spec on alignments. They will flat out sling some mud and snow though. They do have a weird feeling at speeds with some load on them but I think that is just a MT thing, not sure any other brand would be better.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's exactly the type of response I was looking for!! Anyone else?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have the Bfg at kos not a fan at all. Kinda balloony in the front, I run a little more psi in them to make up for my fuel millage loss. This is just what I experienced with mine. Goin to new hampsire a lot in the snow and there not all that great. I sware by the toyo open country at. Love them off road and on. And no balloon feeling. My fuel millage is great, no hydroplaning or pulling in big puddles and do great in the snow. They are pricy tho. But they last a long
Time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts