Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys its me again, got my truck back from the repair shop the other day for a leaking coolant hose (for those who haven't seen the thread).my first tank home i went about 400ish on a tank of diesel,i rock the economy tune and unless i see a dick, have a light foot, i also replaced my air dog filters too. anyhow i filled the truck up to 1 hash below the 3/4 tank mark, i've gone through a half tank of 95% highway driving and the other 5 i almost always stick my truck on cruise....now there is going to be a lot of numbers thrown up here so please follow.
from what i gather
ec/sb tank size=27 gallons
16 hash marks on the fuel gauge
27/16 means that 1 hash =1.625 gallons
now in this period of time i have elapsed 122 miles on 7 hashes(1 hash less than a half tank)
7*1.625=11.375
122/11.375=10.725mpg= awful

driving habits lately, not been too cold but i also haven't been letting her warm up as much. when i get on the interstate i don't punch it, usually cruise around 70mph which is how i drove on the first good tank. now i had a injector out of range so i added some diesel kleen when i put fuel in this last time, brought the balance back down, and there is no cel. now to add to this i haven't changed my fuel filter since april and i plan to pick one up tomorrow to change it on sunday when i do the diy injector cleaner using the gm cleaner. the one thing i have read is that the maf gets dirty can hurt mileage but again, i don't know. if anyone here has any ideas, hints, or if my math is wrong which i don't think it is. any help is welcome. either way the situation as it sits so far is i have gone a half tank and managed 122 miles...that can't happen lol i gotta drive across country next month. however i should add that my very first fill up was at a pilot station(pretty busy truck stop/filling station) this last fill up happened at a big gas station chain(sheetz for the north east guys) but it's no where near as busy in terms of 18 wheelers as pilot, maybe it was a bad batch of fuel but i don't know... thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^i thought about that too, cause i mean lord knows how reliable chevy/gm fuel gauges can be. i was gonna fill it tomorrow and hope for the best

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
Make sure you don't have fuel in the oil.

·
Banned
1,914 Posts
Drop in MPG or lotsa smoke, #1 CHECK AIR FILTER! Since you have an LB7, checking for fuel in the oil is a good idea, but I bet it's a dirty air filter. Clean/replace and :gearjamin

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^no fuel in oil :) checked but air filter may be a good bet...its a dry filter amsoil styler

·
DMAX LML
595 Posts
dont sweat what your seeing. fill it drive it and fill it again and check the milage. every time i put fuel in my truck and dont fill it all the way up it seems like im getting extremely shitty milage from looking at the fuel gauge.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we shall see i will keep this thread posted! lets hope for a less wet weekend so i can clean my injectors

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dont sweat what your seeing. fill it drive it and fill it again and check the milage. every time i put fuel in my truck and dont fill it all the way up it seems like im getting extremely shitty milage from looking at the fuel gauge.
Filled the bitch up completely. 20 gallons worth. The needle was pegged past the f I went 100 miles and it just now broke into the hashes. Lookin better already. Will update when tank is done

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have to agree with the hash marks on the Chevy gauges. I filled my truck all the way up from just below a 1/4 of tank mark to a full tank fill up of 21 gallons. I went 79.6 miles before it moving off the Full hash.

I think the standard fuel tank size is about 26 gallons. I drive about 3 miles from house to freeway and about 9 miles on the freeway to work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts