Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys i think i have a potentially big problem here, i got in my truck to go to work this morning ( 2006 LBZ ) and when i turned it on i noticed that on the speedo from 60mph on it doesent light up anymore i figured maybe i would have to change a fuse but its looking like i need a whole new gauge cluster???? :eek: i really hope this isent the case. What should i do.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Replace the burned out light bulb in your gauge cluster. Are you handy with a soldering iron?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i used one a few times haha, is this going to be a huge project taking the dash and everything apart

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Super easy. Set parking brake. Turn key to off position. Drop shift lever to 1 (reason for setting the parking brake). Drop steering column all the way down. Grab the edge of the dash (about 1" thick) and pull out at top. Then grab sides, then finally bottom. It just snaps into place, not hard at all to get out.
Next, there are 4 screws holding the actual cluster in. Remove them and pull until you can get your hand behind to disconnect the large wire harness. Take the cluster out, put truck back in park.
Take cluster inside. Remove clear lens. I'll find the other post for the actual bulb swap and post it in a second. After fixing, it's just the reverse to put it all back together. It should take you maybe 2 or 3 minutes to get the cluster out. It IS that easy.

·
Registered
687 Posts
DMaxChris beat me to it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright this sounds like it might not be to bad haha, so where should i go to get the replacment bulb

·
Registered
687 Posts
Radio Shack

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
do you know exactly what its called by any chance

·
Registered
687 Posts
12V Microlamps (2-Pack) - RadioShack.com
At $1.79 per pair they are cheap.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok sounds good do you know exactly what bulb it is or what i should be asking the for

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NICE thanks for all the help im heading out to do this now i"ll let you know how this all goes

·
Registered
687 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bad news man i took it apart replaced it no problem and everything was fine and now the transmition temp light is out and the RPM's seem to be off as well as the fuel gauge it just doesent seem right. do you know of anyone who may have a 2006 stock gauge cluster for sale

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Bad news man i took it apart replaced it no problem and everything was fine and now the transmition temp light is out and the RPM's seem to be off as well as the fuel gauge it just doesent seem right. do you know of anyone who may have a 2006 stock gauge cluster for sale
I would check the classifieds here and check ebay. Mine are getting ready to go to. Half of the lamps on the steering wheel are out to. Once it warms up here I will be all over the DIY forum here.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
WantAnMJ- I searched for the thread and could not find it in the DIY section. I do remember someone saying you pop out each gauge. Hopefully someone who has done it can reply.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts