Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I had a lift to install my exhaut. It was a frame lift so I didn’t have the weight off the rear axle as most advise. However, with the truck in the air, I found that removing the rear passenger shock allowed enough room to wiggle the entire rear section with DPF out in a single piece. I was absolutely horrified how bad the shock is. The truck has 70,000 on it and the shock is the worst I’ve ever seen. I’ve replaced shocks and struts on quite a few vehicles and this made my jaw drop.

I’m not sure how long it has been this way and did not check the other side, there is no way they aren’t both shot. Most of the miles since we bought the truck were towing at or just over payload/GVWR using a WDH. I didn’t notice much porpoise but over the past 2,000 miles there were a few long stretches where the truck had a steady abrupt up/down jerking motion which I attributed to either tires, shocks, or a sweet spot where the trailer weight and fuel weight were just right for the road conditions to cause it. It never happened unhitched so I ruled out tires which showed no visual signs. Then on Friday, I confirmed it was the shocks.

I’ve done Bilsteins in the past, with the exception of the Escalade which has air ride and MRC. Before I buy a set of 5100s, does anyone have other recommendations?

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Fan of 5100's.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m seeing older posts about Rancho RS9000 shocks and they seem to have descent reviews? I’m inclined to go with Bilsteins based on experience. The Rancho adjustable is appealing for towing but it may be a pain to adjust them.

Any recent comparisons?

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
No go on the Ranchos. Go Bilstein 5100’s and dont look back.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The Rancho 9000 adjustment knob rusts up in no time if you live in the rust belt.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Copy on the rust belt. That is why I went with SS exhaust. Anything is going to be better than the shocks on it now. My 2 year old could compress them.

I’ll go with my gut and inputs here on the 5100s.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Replaced my factory Ranchos at 8000mi, one front shock was already gone.
Especially towing there is no comparison to the Bilstein 5100's.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My bilstiens tend to sqweek. I have to retighten every once in a while

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey there, my truck is a 3500 drw, but I am in the process of installing 5100s on all 4 corners of my truck, and the steering damer.as well. I have yet to drive it, but I also tow 99% of the time, and my truck was rolling on stock shocks at 187k miles... so im.doing shocks and I'm adding air bags too.
But anyway, I'll try to let you know how they feel today after I'm done.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I've done 5100's on my last three trucks and loved them. This time I decided to try something different and went with the Fox adventure series to start off with, to me they felt almost the same and maybe a little better than the 5100's but close.

Now that I'm putting a lift on I have the Fox performance series (non-reservoir), I just have them on the rear right now since I'm waiting for the rest of my lift to get here.

To me the performance series ride great in the back with my 2" blocks, I'll have to wait to install the front lift before I can tell if the overall ride is better than the Adventure series but the shocks themselves on the performance are better made.

If your looking for something comparable to the 5100's you could look at the adventure series Fox shocks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
My '15 Denali came with Rancho's and it's not a Z71, I don't think. What's the code for Z71 package?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've done 5100's on my last three trucks and loved them. This time I decided to try something different and went with the Fox adventure series to start off with, to me they felt almost the same and maybe a little better than the 5100's but close.

Now that I'm putting a lift on I have the Fox performance series (non-reservoir), I just have them on the rear right now since I'm waiting for the rest of my lift to get here.

To me the performance series ride great in the back with my 2" blocks, I'll have to wait to install the front lift before I can tell if the overall ride is better than the Adventure series but the shocks themselves on the performance are better made.

If your looking for something comparable to the 5100's you could look at the adventure series Fox shocks.
How many miles on the Fox takeoffs? Worth selling?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Slightly off topic but on a trailer forum I check occasionally they recently had a discussion on shocks for tow vehicles. One poster said that 5100s are not good for towing and recommended a shock with less sophisticated valving that would be stiffer in the loaded position. I didn't think that made a lot of sense but am not sure. Is there any input on this? I think the consensus around here is that the 5100s are the way to go.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Hey there, my truck is a 3500 drw, but I am in the process of installing 5100s on all 4 corners of my truck, and the steering damer.as well. I have yet to drive it, but I also tow 99% of the time, and my truck was rolling on stock shocks at 187k miles... so im.doing shocks and I'm adding air bags too.
But anyway, I'll try to let you know how they feel today after I'm done.
I’m interested in hearing how the steering damper does.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Slightly off topic but on a trailer forum I check occasionally they recently had a discussion on shocks for tow vehicles. One poster said that 5100s are not good for towing and recommended a shock with less sophisticated valving that would be stiffer in the loaded position. I didn't think that made a lot of sense but am not sure. Is there any input on this? I think the consensus around here is that the 5100s are the way to go.
Are the guys on that forum 2500/3500 trucks or 1500s?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've had 5100's on both of my old trucks, and have no complaints with the ride quality, after 5-6years on my first truck 2 or 3 shocks where leaking oil, I had dual front shocks on both sides, so had 6 total. They had seen a lot of miles and pretty harsh conditions for a shock absorber though. I replaced them with the same 5100's. I currently have Fox 2.0's on my 2016 now. I think the Fox shocks do ride a little "stiffer" possibly then the 5100s. You can tell the Fox 2.0 shocks are a performance orientated shock absorber. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either brand and series of shocks again. I have towed with both and don't have any complaints there either.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Just like HDROLLING, I have used the 5100’s on my last couple of trucks and really liked them. On my current truck I installed the Fox 2.0 reservoirs. They are much better than the factory Ranchos and seem to ride a little bit stiffer than I remember the Bilstein’s riding.

Those Fox Adventures would work well if he is willing to part with them.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts