Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if the early Duramax engines (LB7) are biodiesel ready? If they are has anyone here ran any, and if you have how did it do?? BTW I did a search and found nothing so I am sorry if this has been discussed.

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
I have read on other sites that it works pretty good. Guys have run anything from b20 to b100 with no issues. You only have to worry about using biodiesel in older engines like the 6.5 and 6.2. I haven't personally used it, but they don't offer it in Alaska either.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My 2002 D/A runs better on biodiesel than standard diesel fuel. It cannot harm any diesel engine if it is quality fuel. A dirty fuel filter may allow dirt/water to pass through and foul injectors, whatever the fuel.
EDITED 1/18/07 My owners manual says a maximum of 10% biodiesel. The copper seals began leaking in the fuel delivery system on the left bank. Cost for repair, $758.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Filter Change

After your first tank.... or you can prob make to the 2nd tank depending on how old the fuel filter is.... you should change it, The bio-diesel breaks up deposits in the fuel tank and cause the filter to clog.... Other then that it has helped my truck a ton!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the 04 LB7 in my 2500HD four door long bed. I am looking at the DSE system of vegetable oil. has any one looked it over or is any one running it already.

Also I have had to have the injectors replaced in my engine 5 times. I live in socal and have been running Lucis fuel additive to keep me running. I have put all 111111 miles on my truck. I just love it after working on diesels in the Army this is a great upgrade in power and responce.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I Have A 2001 Crewcab Long Bed W/ 135,000 Mi. I've Run 100%bio For About 1,500mi. But You Have To Start Slow.i Started W/ 1005 Right Off The Bat And Was Stranded On The Road W/ A Clogged F.filter Then I Reduced The Bio To About 15% And Increased The Amount In 10% Increments Per Tank It Runs Fine And Has Quieted The Engine. I'm Having Fuel Delivery Problems Now But I'm 99.9% Shure It's Not Due To The Biodiesel. My Fuel Is Homebrewed And Filtered To 2micron.be Careful Of Your Bio Source!!! And Be Patient W/ The Percentage To Regular Diesel. And Have A Filter Or Two On Hand You Will Have To Change 1 Or 2 In The First 1,000mi.

·
Registered
5 Posts
DO NOT USE DSE!!!! It is snake oil and it will cause MANY PROBLEMS!!!
I used it for a summer, and in the fall time, my car ran like crap. I took it to the dealer, and what do you know.
The injector pump failed, and all of the injectors were coated with crap from the glycerin in the fuel. It was around a 5500$ repair.

There is no easy way or cheap way of making Bio-Fuel.
I make by own bio after months of research. My truck loves it and after 9000 miles, I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
NO QUESTION - DO NOT USE DSE!!! It should stand for- Dumb Shi$$ Energy! The formula mix they send is too thick. Bio is fine if filtered properly. I mix my own and have had no problem at all. There is no such thing as "Magic in a bottle"!:drink

·
Registered
183 Posts
New here

I've been running B100 for almost 5,000 miles and I really like the lubricity of it and the cleaning of all the fuel components. But now its hard to find for a reasonable price. When you start to use Biodiesel it will clean out your tank with the first fill up of B100. So I installed a pre-oem fuel filter and Lift pump to solve that problem. On my first tank the filter clogged with only 500 miles and the second with 5500 miles. It depends the quality of the diesel you had been putting in your tank. And how many miles is on your truck. 51000 in my case. Hope this helps. Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts