Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have black h2's how did you go about painting them? Im fixin to get a set and didnt really want to pay for powdercoating but wasnt sure if any sort of spray would hold up.

·
Registered
572 Posts
For those of you who have black h2's how did you go about painting them? Im fixin to get a set and didnt really want to pay for powdercoating but wasnt sure if any sort of spray would hold up.
degrease them and sand with 300 grit and degrease again and paint them in lots of light coats. thats what i did

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of paint did you use? Still look decent?

·
Registered
572 Posts
still look pretty good. next time i will do more prep i think and or powdercoat but they look good. I used VHT enamel in the satin.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you know if they make an H2 center cap thats plain or do you have any ideas on how i could fill in the hummer lettering on them? Bondo and sanding maybe?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Snow Automotive tire Tire Car Vehicle

Got the H2's powder coated black and got them put on. Need some opinions on what you think. Should i paint the lug covers black or leave chrome? Bad picture, gonna try and get a better one soon.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Buy 4 cans of this

Take the center caps apart

Scuff them really well with scotch pads. I used the bead blaster at my shop to do the center caps but didn't do well on wheels. A good scuffed surface. Then I had a real nice large heat lamp in our old paint room. I left them under a bit and got them hot. Then applied 3-4 light coats! I think I finally started to cover the rim color after my 2nd coat. Lighter the better. After each coat left them under the heat lamp and 15 minutes later did another coat. When it was done I let them sit over night and put tires on the next day.

The day I did them:

After 1 winter of heavy plowing salt and not washing them:

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
are h2 rims weight rated for 3/4 and 1 tons?

·
Registered
147 Posts
yes they are extremely strong......a favorite in the pullers community from what ive seen....i have 2 sets of 4 in my garage right now awaiting tires :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
guys i just got a set of 2006 H2 wheels. went to put them on and the center caps won't clear the the bearings on the rear. my hummer center caps don't look anything like the one pictured above. what can i do? thanks!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Hummer center caps wont work, you have to use stock chevy or gmc ones

·
Registered
88 Posts
Autozone sells a 'ceramic' black wheel coating which works well. I think it is made by Dupli-color. Had it on my old wheels for a 2 yrs and they held up well. Minor fading but very satin black look.

·
Registered
589 Posts
i've been looking for a set for awhile! i like the rhino liner look. but get a high performance paint from hardware store or auto parts store. and do what the others have said on the light coats and don't rush the coats so they dont run.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I powdercoated mine I am very impatient when it come to sanding and prepwork so I figure the $150. to get them coated was well worth me not getting mad on how bad of a job I would do:idkidk

·
Registered
88 Posts
View attachment 13660

Got the H2's powder coated black and got them put on. Need some opinions on what you think. Should i paint the lug covers black or leave chrome? Bad picture, gonna try and get a better one soon.
Hey Wylie anymore pictures of the truck/rims? Got similar color and thinking about black H2's also

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ill try and get a few more this afternoon for ya

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.