Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just replaced all 8 injectors on my buddies 04 LB7. When he brought it to me, it was a white smoke blowing machine. I mean, Lincoln diesels bad injector "example" status. It was like sea foam in a gasser. Anyways, just got the truck back together and noticed a few things.

Upon startup, it let's out a nice puff of black smoke. While idling, there is a haze of smoke, and it smells like it's over fueled. Not raw fuel smell, just super "rich". When you blip the throttle, it puffs a decent amount of smoke. When I drive it, it lays out a pretty good cloud of black even after the turbo lights. This is all on a stock tune.

It's a cali emissions truck, no cat, 5 inch straight pipe, air aid intake.

No signs of diesel in the oil, nothing else out of the ordinary, just black smoke. What can I try to fix this? Possible FPR? Dirty MAF?

Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
31 Posts
What size injectors? It sounds like the way my 45% over injectors were. I had to adjust the tables with EFILIVE to correct problem. Don't let any programmer tell you that the tables don't need to be adjusted with injectors larger than stock!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are supposed to be stock sized injectors. I was thinking the same thing but they are stock build. And currently not running a tune

·
Registered
155 Posts
Were the new injectors from LDS?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hey Guy,I got a 01/D/A & when I kick it it puts out a jet black smoke until it catches up with its power,then no smoke at all.I got about 150,000 on it now & never bene touched.Has'nt used a quart of oil since Ive owned it & when I check the oil its right on the full mark,above the full mark dry as can be,no diesel in it whatsoever.I bene usin marvel in the fuel ever since new.one quart to approximently 28 gal. fuel.Even when idling no smoke at all.Purrs like a kitten yet.A little more loser & noisier but runs like a top.I have yet today ever had one single leak on it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the insight. Pretty sure it was just residual fuel or something of the sort. After driving it a bit it thinned out and now only smokes a tad at idle and cleans up everywhere else.

One other issue that arose was it was losing rail pressure. It would hit 23-24k then fall on its face to 5 or 4k. Actually ended up being the fuel filter. Couldn't believe it, especially since it was changed 1000 miles ago. Truck seems to run great at this point

·
Registered
266 Posts
I had a couple injector jobs on lb7s smoke pretty good for the first 5 miles after the injectors were replaced, most of the time it was white smoke not black

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2004 duramax, a couple of days ago it was running super rough and was barely running and had a bad fuel knock.. I changed the fuel filter and filled fuel filter with lucas injector leaned and poured a 32 oz bottle of lucas in the fuel tank. It still ran super rough but after a while of idling the fuel knock almost went away. now I can barely hear the fuel knock and it has a miss to it. When I give it full throttle it runs like a scalded dog. It wont throw a code. It can either be trash in an injector, a bad injector, or the wiring harness for @2 & #7 injectors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey all, just replaced all 8 injectors on my buddies 04 LB7. When he brought it to me, it was a white smoke blowing machine. I mean, Lincoln diesels bad injector "example" status. It was like sea foam in a gasser. Anyways, just got the truck back together and noticed a few things.

Upon startup, it let's out a nice puff of black smoke. While idling, there is a haze of smoke, and it smells like it's over fueled. Not raw fuel smell, just super "rich". When you blip the throttle, it puffs a decent amount of smoke. When I drive it, it lays out a pretty good cloud of black even after the turbo lights. This is all on a stock tune.

It's a cali emissions truck, no cat, 5 inch straight pipe, air aid intake.

No signs of diesel in the oil, nothing else out of the ordinary, just black smoke. What can I try to fix this? Possible FPR? Dirty MAF?

Any help is appreciated
My truck blew black smoke too. Mostly on acceleration. Turned out it was leaking oil into the turbo. It will run forever like that and it will pass inspection but that is the problem.

Now you get to tell people a girl told you how to fix it...cause I'm female.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts