Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 duramax 6.6 5 speed allison just purchased.
74,000 miles
HD3500 silverado
In 2004 I purchased a new HD2500 to pull my rv, it purred like a kitten under load, 12,000lbs in the small hills in central Florida holding 70mph uphill while the turbo sang.

The 2004 HD3500 chatters all the time and pours black smoke while pulling a 3500 lb trailer:confused:

I had it examined at a local GMC shop, not much diesel experience, they checked the computer, vacuum pump bad, replaced, cleared the codes related, claimed they checked pressure on each injector as good. Chatter and black smoke remained. I followed my truck on the interstate and watched with a 2K load on flat road with little puffs of black smoke, when rising on abridge the smoke gets heavy. At full throttle a black cloud shoots out of the tail pipe, the chatter slows and the engine rumbles. While mild acceleration, i can hear a faint turbo kick in, hard to hear over chatter.

Summation:
2004 hd300 6.6 allison 5 speed with flatbed for Hot Shot
74,000 miles
vacuum pump replace, codes cleared
NO muffler, straight pipe exhaust, LOUD
No additional chip, had dealer clear CPU and set to defaults
Chatter with no load excessive gets louder as engine heats up
loss of power at ecceleration
What is an EGR?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
EGR is Exhaust Gas Recerculator or somethin like that....the exhaust gas part is right i dont know about the r word....

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
black smoke chatter

Thanks for the information on EGR and about the fuel filter.

I will go get a fuel filter today and try it. I will also put a fuel additive in at next fuel fill up to try and clean any stuff out of the injectors.:gearjamin

·
Vendor
10,949 Posts
Thanks for the information on EGR and about the fuel filter.

I will go get a fuel filter today and try it. I will also put a fuel additive in at next fuel fill up to try and clean any stuff out of the injectors.:gearjamin
If you're interested in a fuel additive yo should try the AMSOIL Fuel Concentrate and the cetane booster. The Fuel Concentrate is a total system cleaner and lubricity improver for all types of diesel engines. It improves the performance, fuel efficiency and longevity of diesel engines while reducing deposits, black smoke and emissions.

The Cetane booster is an ashless, alcohol-free additive that improves cetane up to seven points for increased power and performance in all diesel engines. Together they will help improve performance and add up to 7-8% to your mpg.

I personally run them both in my DMAX and I have seen a 2-3 mpg increase in my mpg and very little smoke. PM me if you're interested in some more information or pricing. Have a great holiday weekend!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2004 duramax 6.6 5 speed allison just purchased.
74,000 miles
HD3500 silverado
In 2004 I purchased a new HD2500 to pull my rv, it purred like a kitten under load, 12,000lbs in the small hills in central Florida holding 70mph uphill while the turbo sang.

The 2004 HD3500 chatters all the time and pours black smoke while pulling a 3500 lb trailer:confused:

I had it examined at a local GMC shop, not much diesel experience, they checked the computer, vacuum pump bad, replaced, cleared the codes related, claimed they checked pressure on each injector as good. Chatter and black smoke remained. I followed my truck on the interstate and watched with a 2K load on flat road with little puffs of black smoke, when rising on abridge the smoke gets heavy. At full throttle a black cloud shoots out of the tail pipe, the chatter slows and the engine rumbles. While mild acceleration, i can hear a faint turbo kick in, hard to hear over chatter.

Summation:
2004 hd300 6.6 allison 5 speed with flatbed for Hot Shot
74,000 miles
vacuum pump replace, codes cleared
NO muffler, straight pipe exhaust, LOUD
No additional chip, had dealer clear CPU and set to defaults
Chatter with no load excessive gets louder as engine heats up
loss of power at ecceleration
What is an EGR?
I KNOW EXACTLY WHATS WRONG ...your leaking oil into your turbo. It will run forever like that and it will pass inspection but that is the problem.

Now you get to tell people a girl told you how to fix it...cause I'm female.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts