Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting large amounts of black smoke when I stand on the throttle, now I now its a good thing sometimes but my truck is completely stock except of the KN filter and a straight pipe. I also have been getting a SES light that states my fuel temperature is too high or out of range or something like that, when I get this code my truck is a dead horse no acceleration poor fuel economy and loss of power. All i do is erase this code and instantly I get all the power back and its back to normal well other than the black smoke when on the throttle. I checked my balance rates and they arent even close to being out of spec the highest I have is 2.1 on one cylinder. Now I used to have a lot of surging at idle, i know its a FPR I havnet changed this yet could this be all my problem? what do you think I should do take it to the dealer and let them do a full diagnostic? thanks Tom

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope its all stock.

·
XBoxLive: RenegadeDuramax
1,776 Posts
Black smoke and lack of power would seem to indicate that your truck is getting too much fuel for the amount of air it is receiving. Black smoke is fuel leaving your engine that is not being burned.

I'd say you are either getting too much fuel or too little air.

Try these steps....
1 - Clean the air filter.
2 - K&N filters are notorious for oiling up the mass air flow sensor. Go to the parts store and get a can of MAF sensor cleaner. Don't use anything else to clean it. Wait until it is completely dry, and reinstall it.
3 - Check all of your turbo tubes/boots for leaks.
4 - Check to make sure the line between your turbo and waste-gate is still connected.

If these don't solve your problem, then it's probably fuel related.

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
Ditch the K&N all together.

·
Registered
589 Posts
normally its the other way around...people usually want more black smoke not less hahaa...well at least the young ones that wanna show off

·
XBoxLive: RenegadeDuramax
1,776 Posts
normally its the other way around...people usually want more black smoke not less hahaa...well at least the young ones that wanna show off
Yeah, this is true... but it's power lost out of the exhaust pipe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts