Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well with being off work for a while I decided to clean out, reorganize, generally tidy up my shop. I came across some ole, Very old tools that I thought some may find of interest.

I had some great uncles who lived in Monrovia, CA. Among their various enterprises they once had a Battery shop. They manufactured batteries as well as maintained them. This was in the 30s & 40s, and batteries were 6 volts. Also, most here will not remember batteries that were not a nice sealed plastic case.

The cases were a Bakelite like substance and covered on the top with tar. The three cells were connected with large lead connectors that were clearly visible as raised areas under the tar.

The reason I explain this is the first tool, an ammeter was used to measure the voltage of each individual cell by pushing the points at the bottom down through and displacing the tar to make contact with those lead connectors. A bad cell could be changed rather than change the entire battery out. The world was not quite so disposable as it is now.

The other two are two old Voltmeters,one 6 volts for batteries and the other for 110-120 volts. (It isn't very accurate though, when I plugged it into my house receptacles it read 135-137 when I know it is actually around 124. Note, No polarized prongs.

Attachments

Reactions: jdwarren and mray

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
This should be an interesting thread. I’ve got so many antique tools I don’t know if I’d have time to dig them out.

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This should be an interesting thread. I’ve got so many antique tools I don’t know if I’d have time to dig them out.
Take time, Make time, we all want to see them. Ive only just begun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts