Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
update this will be my build thread lol I will post pictures and set by step of the whole motor& truck build build.
up pipes and manifolds
calilies crank
billet main caps
carrillo rods
Cast pistons
ARP headstuds, ARP header studs, ARP everything lol
ALT firing CAM
girdle with main studs
billet flex plate
ATI super damp balancer
Socal diesle valave train kit
wagler duel valve springs
wagler push rods
wagler oil pump
and more

I've owned this truck since new in 2012
was a great truck and I could not ask for a better truck. I've always maintained the F out of the truck but I also beat it up and was not easy on her. 130k trouble free miles till the other day

so long story short

I was WOT for a long time and burnt a hole in #2 piston. Compression checked and its dead
truck still starts and drives under its own power but its hard.

I just picked up my new truck from the dealership yesterday, a 2020 dmax

now I'm looking for some advice or some input on what to do with my LML now. the truck has been paid off since 2016. the truck was tuned since 2k miles on it.

all labor will be done by me so no charges will be applied

option 1

so a new short block from industrial injection is $10K
I will rebuild my heads with new valve, springs, retainers, seats and guides. deck the heads, all new gaskets,
arp head studs all new hoses, lines for the entire motor, new over sized injectors, new aftermarket manifolds. and a woldFAB bored turbo and new billet wheel. just for a start 15k-20k in parts just right here!

still would need to build my tranz $6-9K depends on what kit I want to go with.

option 2

find a crashed truck from copart and take the motor out from the if I get one for a good deal.

or buy an eBay motor and take a shot on that and who knows what I'm getting or how long it will last.

option 3

sell it as is

parts list on my truck
ADD front and rear bumpers
BDS 4" coilovers kit
method rims 35" tires
mbrp 5"
motor ops dps5
egr delete
Yukon lsd
krypotnight frontend
ECT ECT

I want to hear what some of you would do out of these 3 choices, please don't say something stupid like
oh well I just wouldn't have blown it up in the first place lol

update is I am currently fully building the motor & trans

page 3 shows more pictures of the motor being pulled

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
I've owned this truck since new in 2012
was a great truck and I could not ask for a better truck. I've always maintained the F out of the truck but I also beat it up and was not easy on her. 130k trouble free miles till the other day

so long story short

I was WOT for a long time and burnt a hole in #2 piston. Compression checked and its dead
truck still starts and drives under its own power but its hard.

I just picked up my new truck from the dealership yesterday, a 2020 dmax

now I'm looking for some advice or some input on what to do with my LML now. the truck has been paid off since 2016. the truck was tuned since 2k miles on it.

all labor will be done by me so no charges will be applied

option 1

so a new short block from industrial injection is $10K
I will rebuild my heads with new valve, springs, retainers, seats and guides. deck the heads, all new gaskets,
arp head studs all new hoses, lines for the entire motor, new over sized injectors, new aftermarket manifolds. and a woldFAB bored turbo and new billet wheel. just for a start 15k-20k in parts just right here!

still would need to build my tranz $6-9K depends on what kit I want to go with.

option 2

find a crashed truck from copart and take the motor out from the if I get one for a good deal.

or buy an eBay motor and take a shot on that and who knows what I'm getting or how long it will last.

option 3

sell it as is

parts list on my truck
ADD front and rear bumpers
BDS 4" coilovers kit
method rims 35" tires
mbrp 5"
motor ops dps5
egr delete
Yukon lsd
krypotnight frontend
ECT ECT

I want to hear what some of you would do out of these 3 choices, please don't say something stupid like
oh well I just wouldn't have blown it up in the first place lol
To my mind it would depend on what you intend to do with the truck, sell it or keep it.

If selling, what would net you more money, option 2 or option 3, taking into consideration the labor involved in each one.

If you intend on keeping it, then option 1 or 2 would depend on what you intended to do with it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I agree with 407. It really depends on what you want to do with it afterwards. If you are going to keep it then option 1 is the way to go. If you are gonna sell it then just sell it. You will not get your money back from building it or putting a motor in it unless you get something really cheap and you can just swap it. A coworker of mine bought that really cheap one that had a replacement motor in it and he had to put another motor in it. Spent about 7k more on the truck and is pissed about it. If you’re gonna sell it, sell it.

·
Premium Member
2006 GMC2500HD, 6.6/Auto, 4x4
19 Posts
Hot Rod the LML (badass looking truck you have there, btw!) if you're gonna keep it and leave the new one stock!

·
Registered
384 Posts
option #2 if you have the space to stash away a parts truck and the ability to do the work. You wont get what it's worth to you by selling anyway, and you have a done a very nice job with it thus far. That truck is sweet! with option #2 you can keep it check and as long as you aren't looking to get wild witha 750-1000 horse monster you don't have to get crazy on engine builds

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
309 Posts
I vote option one if you're keeping or selling. Keep all receipts and document the build. That will make the truck worth the most.

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Me, I would do option #2 IF you know the condition of the donor truck and get all the harnesses, wiring, pulleys, computers, alternator etc and can pull it yourself, much easier to R&R with everything intact, lot cheaper than rebuilding, truck is back on the road in less than a week and you can keep the extra stuff for spares if you ever need them or sell/trade 'em. However, I'm on a fixed income and $15K for a rebuild wouldn't fit my budget...

Reactions: mizterwizard

·
Registered
439 Posts
Sounds like a good deal, but if you go that route pay the extra for the ARP headbolts. Well worth it.

Reactions: SheeB

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
WOT for long period of time sounds like you were towing a load?

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Have to be dragging a train car on its side up hill to be wot for extended periods of time towing.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Option 4 Send me your address and I'll come take it off your hands!

Actually this is what I would do:

Search Results

car-part.com is an agglomeration of available parts from wrecking yards across the country. This listing has hundreds of options. For your purposes there are some listed for around $3500 with only 55K miles but without injectors, turbo or CP4. Perfect opportunity to upgrade to the CP3 and big injectors or just use what you already have. For less than $5,000 you can have a complete engine with less than 50K miles. Shipping can be expensive though so it would be best to look for an engine near you, perhaps even one you can pick up locally. I see an engine in a salvage yard local to me that has 36K miles for $2500. Starting from that you could build a heck of an engine for $6-8K or just put it in and drive it.

As others have said, it all depends on what you are after.

Have you considered pulling your engine, taking it to a local shop and having them rebuild it? One holed piston shouldn't be too hard or expensive to fix. They might even do it in the truck and save the R&R.

·
Registered
895 Posts
It all depends on what you want to do.

If you're going to sell it, dont trick it out. Go #4 Wizard route. Stock will be cheapest and will give you the best return (unless you find someone looking for ocean-front property in Arizona).

If you're going to keep it, I'd make it a project to work on with your kids unless you are just in a hurry to get it done or dont have the space. You could make it your oldest kids first vehicle but have them help you fix it up. My dad did this but we had the space and fixed everything we owned so it wasn't too much out of the ordinary.
If you keep it do NOT go cheap and cut corners. ARP studs, etc. do it right.

·
Registered
27 Posts
All I know for sure is the EPA really has a hard on for deletes and such right now. Having an older truck for fun and games might not be the worst idea if you can swing it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.