Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my truck a few months ago. I was under it the other night looking for the block heater cord. Well I found it but only about half of the plug is there. The PO must have let it hang and drag it. My question is, is it safe to just get a plug from the hardware store and wire it up or will I need a whole new cord?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
you can put a new plug on. you can also buy a replacement cord if you want that factory look

·
Premium Member
10,442 Posts
Yeah just go to the hardware store and get one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Where do they hide the block heater, can't find it on an 06.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My LLY was tucked under the passenger side battery tray. Had to pull the battery and tray for easy access and routing

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I have my cord zip tied along the metal cross bar over the battery. Makes it easy to connect. Quick question though, is it okay to leave the hood popped when it's plugged in (just to have enough room for the cord)? Or should I make sure the hood is completely shut.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I have my cord zip tied along the metal cross bar over the battery. Makes it easy to connect. Quick question though, is it okay to leave the hood popped when it's plugged in (just to have enough room for the cord)? Or should I make sure the hood is completely shut.

Block heater doesn't care how you have the hood.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can't find it on the engine, :(

Closing the hood will keep the heat in.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The hood doesn't stay open enough to make a difference on heat, my engine bay is always hot when I open it in the mornings. I'm going to get a short extension and run it down the side of the bay and out by the tow hook. Really annoying trying to open the hood thats frozen shut and got a foot of snow on it to unhook the truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2005 2500HD crew cab LT four wheel drive. I some how ripped mine in half and what I did was take the same size wire that was an old flat extension cord and cut the plug off of it stripped the wires back , put some heat shrink on the wire and then I soldered them. Then slide the heat shrink over the connection and added a little tape just to make sure I kept the water out. The bad thing is now I have a white cord hang instead of a black one. But I have had no trouble with my repair. PS. I am a union electrician.
I bought my truck a few months ago. I was under it the other night looking for the block heater cord. Well I found it but only about half of the plug is there. The PO must have let it hang and drag it. My question is, is it safe to just get a plug from the hardware store and wire it up or will I need a whole new cord?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts