Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very new here and to the diesel owner world and my first question is this. Do i need to purchase a new block heater and replace the old one on my truck? From what i am told the truck had a recall and the dealer just cut the cord at the base of the heater and left it. Its a 2017 6.6, Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am very new here and to the diesel owner world and my first question is this. Do i need to purchase a new block heater and replace the old one on my truck? From what i am told the truck had a recall and the dealer just cut the cord at the base of the heater and left it. Its a 2017 6.6, Cheers!
No, it’s a recall. Your dealer will take care of it. It’s an open recall, but I was told during my last service appointment that GM didn’t have all the parts yet and I would get a notification when I should call my dealer and schedule the repair.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Recall letter I got says 'for now don't use' AND that a 'second letter will advise when parts available for repair'.

Regardless, it's a 2 stage deal, and we should be notified when parts become available.

I expect them to do it by region as more and more parts are produced.
(no need to wait until enough parts for all have been made to start the process...)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Recall letter I got says 'for now don't use' AND that a 'second letter will advise when parts available for repair'.

Regardless, it's a 2 stage deal, and we should be notified when parts become available.

(no need to wait until enough parts for all have been made to start the process...)
UGH! I live in Alaska is there an alternative? I don’t think I can go the winter without it. This will be my first winter here.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,274 Posts
While they're nice to have for a quickly warmed up truck after start, the Dmax doesn't really need a block heater to start in the ultra cold.

·
Registered
127 Posts

UGH! I live in Alaska is there an alternative? I don’t think I can go the winter without it. This will be my first winter here.
It ain’t winter yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

It ain’t winter yet.
Lol yeah not yet but from what I hear.... winter is coming... 😂

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,274 Posts
Not as important with a common rail diesel.
Old Diesels, not gonna happen.

There are blankets available for the extreme cold too.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
I would purchase:

1) a grille cover (if they make one)
2) Diesel Kleen (white bottle for winter)
3) an engine blanket or magnetic heater

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Grill cover (winter front) is standard equipment from GM in cold locations.

V10 Cover, 1-piece, covers radiator grille and front bumper openings for diesel engines in winter weather
1 - Requires (L5P) Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine and is required on orders with "Ship To" locations within the following states: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Alaska, Idaho, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Michigan, Colorado and New York -- and all Canada

·
Registered
67 Posts
What year trucks is the recall for? I’ve seen this in other posts but no reference to the model years it is for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,274 Posts
L5p
'17-?

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Grill cover (winter front) is standard equipment from GM in cold locations.

V10 Cover, 1-piece, covers radiator grille and front bumper openings for diesel engines in winter weather
1 - Requires (L5P) Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine and is required on orders with "Ship To" locations within the following states: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Alaska, Idaho, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Michigan, Colorado and New York -- and all Canada
I do have the cover at least!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Today I received a phone call from GM after they received my complaint from the Pennsylvania State Attorney General's Office. I purchased a new 2019 Chevrolet LTZ 3500 Durmax back in June. When I purchased the vehicle, I was not informed of the recall nor was I told that my engine block heater core cord was cut off. My window sticker indicates that my truck is equipped with an engine block heater. After purchase, I learned about the recall and found out my cord had been cut. I filed a complaint with GM and they did nothing. They put the responsibility on the dealership. GM has refused to repurchase the vehicle. Next, I filed a complaint with the Pennsylvania Attorney General's office regarding what I feel is consumer fraud. If a window sticker lists an item, the consumer should be able to assume the vehicle contains that item in working order and if an item is disabled the manufacturer and the dealer should notify the purchaser prior to purchase so they can make an informed decision. In my case, the dealer blames GM and GM blames the dealer.

During my conversation with GM, I asked if all of the owners of trucks with the notation on the window sticker stating the engine block heater has been disabled with a $100.00 credit will be notified of the fix. She advised that those trucks are not part of my complaint. So read between the lines.

Initially, a Senior Advisor told me the fix should be available sometime in October. This was also the time frame provided by the dealership however, today the woman could not give me a time frame of when the fix will be available.

I suggest if you live in PA and you have this same problem or similar that you contact GM and the Pennsylvania Attorney General

·
Registered
127 Posts
Today I received a phone call from GM after they received my complaint from the Pennsylvania State Attorney General's Office. I purchased a new 2019 Chevrolet LTZ 3500 Durmax back in June. When I purchased the vehicle, I was not informed of the recall nor was I told that my engine block heater core cord was cut off. My window sticker indicates that my truck is equipped with an engine block heater. After purchase, I learned about the recall and found out my cord had been cut. I filed a complaint with GM and they did nothing. They put the responsibility on the dealership. GM has refused to repurchase the vehicle. Next, I filed a complaint with the Pennsylvania Attorney General's office regarding what I feel is consumer fraud. If a window sticker lists an item, the consumer should be able to assume the vehicle contains that item in working order and if an item is disabled the manufacturer and the dealer should notify the purchaser prior to purchase so they can make an informed decision. In my case, the dealer blames GM and GM blames the dealer.

During my conversation with GM, I asked if all of the owners of trucks with the notation on the window sticker stating the engine block heater has been disabled with a $100.00 credit will be notified of the fix. She advised that those trucks are not part of my complaint. So read between the lines.

Initially, a Senior Advisor told me the fix should be available sometime in October. This was also the time frame provided by the dealership however, today the woman could not give me a time frame of when the fix will be available.

I suggest if you live in PA and you have this same problem or similar that you contact GM and the Pennsylvania Attorney General
Oh my. I’m in Ohio and could give a crap less. The cord wasn’t cut on mine, but it’s still affected by the recall. Are they not going to fix it? It hasn’t affected my quality of life one bit.

·
Registered
89 Posts
L5p
'17-?
Does this affect the 20s then too? Reason I ask is because on the new 20s, the truck has a plug molded into the lower valance on the driver's side and the truck comes with a specific cord to fit the plug (looks proprietary).

I haven't found anything anywhere that indicates 20s are part of this, but I haven't seen anything that says they're not either - despite them also having the L5P engine.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts