Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Im in CT, was at the dealer on Saturday - said they have a shipment do in within the next 1-2 weeks, hope thats true.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had JUST joined the forum and this is the first post I read. Obviously not something that I wanted to read about. Looked at the window sticker for my 2019 and sure enough there's the $100 deduct for the disable. Searched the recall database for my truck and it said there were no open recalls. Talked to the dealer and he said they have not received any parts yet (Nebraska) but when they do I will receive a letter to have it repaired at no cost. No idea though when that might be. :frown2: On the plus side it won't be a case of giving me a $100 deduct and then charging $300 to repair it. :smile2:

Kirk Pfeffer

·
Registered
214 Posts
Was just in today to have my block heater recall done , service guy said they have boxes of cords & heaters for this recall ,all done

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm in Illinois no fix available according to local GMC dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just got off the phone with GM. They told me the Block heater recall was first applied to Northern states and Canada. They informed me that when enough parts are available it will be shipped to the Southern states. I wasn't aware that Illinois was considered a Southern state but that being said a fix is on the way, They told me to just wait for the letter in the mail. After all of that they asked about any other issues big mistake. I gave them a laundry list of all the oil and coolant leaks I've had and they are escalating my case and will be in contact with the dealer. So maybe something positive will come of this phone call after all. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just got off the phone with GM. They told me the Block heater recall was first applied to Northern states and Canada. They informed me that when enough parts are available it will be shipped to the Southern states. I wasn't aware that Illinois was considered a Southern state
It's not, unless you're a manufacturer desperately trying to cover your @ss because of such a stupid engineering flaw. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dropped off truck @ dealer today checked again on the recall dealer told me mine was marked closed. I'm like WTF they checked it was cut @ 6 miles on odometer. Clearly they have problems with their communications and updates of vehicles records. Waiting for the GM rep to call me back I now have a case number due to all of my other issues with various oil leaks, coolant leaks and cluster light problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well here we go again! Made an appointment on Monday for Wednesday. Dropped the truck off just after 8am. Dealer told me just going to replace the cluster light, the broken gravel shield and what he called a freeze plug. When I questioned him on it he said it was really a oil passage plug. So they are not changing the upper oil pan as we previously discussed. No heater block recall said it's closed. Won't seem to help on the double charge for the wheels either. Got a call on Saturday afternoon about 1PM. Get this they told my wife the haven't gotten to it yet! WTF 4 days and you just got around to calling us to say we don't have an available rack to fix your truck. The call with the GM REP is going to be interesting to be sure. And to think they were upset when my wife left a poor review about the service and communication. Just wait until I get my turn.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This heater block recall is driving me insane...I am working in Wisconsin and took truck in for LOF and tire rotation service and the recall also. Was told parts are on order...4 weeks later I call back to check on "ordered parts" and was told they do not have any for my truck, only for vehicles that were bought at their dealership...WHAT....REALLY....had you told me that before you done my service I would not have given you my service for LOF & tire rotation. Upon calling GM still no answer...

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
This won't make you feel any better, but I had mine done this week at a dealer that I use for service, not the one where it was purchased.
They have done recall work for me on several vehicles that were purchased other places.

The dealer (or at least that particular service person) that looked after you and refused the recall (and/or any warranty work) is being a [email protected]*&Y &#%*(*^.

I would think that GM would not be happy about the dealer turning you away.
Of course the call centre folks that just work to a script won't give you direct satisfaction, but it's possible you will get a call back about the issue.

Every recalled vehicle will be issued a set of parts. GM won't care where they get installed. They will be more interested in getting all the recalled vehicles looked after.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This won't make you feel any better, but I had mine done this week at a dealer that I use for service, not the one where it was purchased.
They have done recall work for me on several vehicles that were purchased other places.

The dealer (or at least that particular service person) that looked after you and refused the recall (and/or any warranty work) is being a [email protected]*&Y &#%*(*^.

I would think that GM would not be happy about the dealer turning you away.
Of course the call centre folks that just work to a script won't give you direct satisfaction, but it's possible you will get a call back about the issue.

Every recalled vehicle will be issued a set of parts. GM won't care where they get installed. They will be more interested in getting all the recalled vehicles looked after.

Well I did find a dealer this afternoon that has 11 in stock and stated they would be glad to help me out, however they have a concern as to what the previous dealer did to disable this as I looked and the cord is not cut as the pic in original poster, & previous dealer will not disclose this information to as to how they disabled the block heater thinking that I may try to enable it myself. How ridiculous.. Any how off to continue the fight with GM

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dealer completed replacement of block heater and power supply cord this morning, Service manager did state to me that these duramax engines really do not need plugging in until -15 to -20 degrees. That blew my mind, however this is my first diesel so I am learning throughout this process.

Thanks for your help & input,

·
Registered
43 Posts
I plug in as soon as the mercury dips to single digits (or at least I used to, until the dealer guillotined my cord during a maintenance visit). I'm more concerned with having a little heat in the oil for initial startup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just spoke to service rep at my dealer. Told me he researched and parts are due in within the next few days..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone actually gotten theirs replaced yet? I've been calling dealer, they don't have - don't know. Called dealer's "Customer Experience Manager" - never got a reply, what a waste. Called GM Customer Service, have a Service Request Number, bumped to a supervisor, was told I would get a call back within 2 business days - it's been nearly 4 weeks and no call, despite leaving a couple of messages during that time.

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone is actually getting a replacement for theirs yet or not. This seems absolutely ridiculous given that the recall was months ago, they have a replacement (changed over halfway through 2018 model year - if memory serves - mine's a 2017), so its not like they have to go to the drawing board to figure it out. It's a production issue, and I have a hard time believing that a cord with heater block attachment is that hard of a thing to produce/procure in sufficient quantities to satisfy current production and the recall.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,264 Posts
It's a production issue, and I have a hard time believing that a cord with heater block attachment is that hard of a thing to produce/procure in sufficient quantities to satisfy current production and the recall.
Suppliers focus on matching production output with the on-time inventory that is the assembly line. They can't just one day snap their fingers and decide to up production 10x to meet a new demand. Especially in this economy with a severe lack of available hires.

We went thru this years ago with the flawed intake design on the LLYs.
The LBZ corrected design was considered as something that would never fail, and/or need replacing. There were absolutely 0 available outside of the on-time inventory to match the production line.

Only after a lot of work were we able to push production towards meeting a new demand. Even after that success, you then had to have the dealer parts special order the part #, outside of the normal inventory supply system set up.

Fast forward to today and they're everywhere on fleabay, and for half the cost.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Suppliers focus on matching production output with the on-time inventory that is the assembly line. They can't just one day snap their fingers and decide to up production 10x to meet a new demand. Especially in this economy with a severe lack of available hires.

We went thru this years ago with the flawed intake design on the LLYs.
The LBZ corrected design was considered as something that would never fail, and/or need replacing. There were absolutely 0 available outside of the on-time inventory to match the production line.

Only after a lot of work were we able to push production towards meeting a new demand. Even after that success, you then had to have the dealer parts special order the part #, outside of the normal inventory supply system set up.

Fast forward to today and they're everywhere on fleabay, and for half the cost.
And I understand that. I've worked in design/mfg before in what seems a previous lifetime.

BUT, the issue had to be noted prior to the recall, so the supplier should have had some advance notice of the issue AND past/current production was changed prior to the recall notice being issued, so the part is in actual production by the supplier, AND the recall is at least 7 months old (May 2019). So, this isn't an issue of a complete redesign of something complicated - that's obviously been done. It's a cord and an engine heater attached to said cord. We're not talking about something machined or cast, or some major sub-assembly, or something that requires 12+ hrs labor to R&R.

Biggest issue for me (today) is the complete lack of information coming back from anyone at GM. No word, nothing. Complete silence, and complete disregard for a customer, despite multiple attempts to contact them to get any word. That chaps my hide.

81 - 100 of 144 Posts