Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Has anyone actually gotten theirs replaced yet? I've been calling dealer, they don't have - don't know. Called dealer's "Customer Experience Manager" - never got a reply, what a waste. Called GM Customer Service, have a Service Request Number, bumped to a supervisor, was told I would get a call back within 2 business days - it's been nearly 4 weeks and no call, despite leaving a couple of messages during that time.

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone is actually getting a replacement for theirs yet or not. This seems absolutely ridiculous given that the recall was months ago, they have a replacement (changed over halfway through 2018 model year - if memory serves - mine's a 2017), so its not like they have to go to the drawing board to figure it out. It's a production issue, and I have a hard time believing that a cord with heater block attachment is that hard of a thing to produce/procure in sufficient quantities to satisfy current production and the recall.
They are changing them.

Mine was done a few days ago.

Lots of others have also posted about completion.

(fwiw, I didn't have the cord cut on mine -- just waited til the parts were in for replacement)

·
Registered
7 Posts
They are changing them.

Mine was done a few days ago.

Lots of others have also posted about completion.

(fwiw, I didn't have the cord cut on mine -- just waited til the parts were in for replacement)
Mine's not cut either - but I won't plug it in. IF something happens - they have an easy out since they told me there's a recall, etc - so I probably won't have any recourse if the vehicle and my shop that its parked in burns down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dealer completed replacement of block heater and power supply cord this morning, Service manager did state to me that these duramax engines really do not need plugging in until -15 to -20 degrees. That blew my mind, however this is my first diesel so I am learning throughout this process.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone actually gotten theirs replaced yet? I've been calling dealer, they don't have - don't know. Called dealer's "Customer Experience Manager" - never got a reply, what a waste. Called GM Customer Service, have a Service Request Number, bumped to a supervisor, was told I would get a call back within 2 business days - it's been nearly 4 weeks and no call, despite leaving a couple of messages during that time.

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone is actually getting a replacement for theirs yet or not. This seems absolutely ridiculous given that the recall was months ago, they have a replacement (changed over halfway through 2018 model year - if memory serves - mine's a 2017), so its not like they have to go to the drawing board to figure it out. It's a production issue, and I have a hard time believing that a cord with heater block attachment is that hard of a thing to produce/procure in sufficient quantities to satisfy current production and the recall.
Dealer completed replacement of block heater and power supply cord this morning, Service manager did state to me that these duramax engines really do not need plugging in until -15 to -20 degrees. That blew my mind, however this is my first diesel so I am learning throughout this process.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,292 Posts
And I understand that. I've worked in design/mfg before in what seems a previous lifetime.

BUT, the issue.....
:rofl
Yes....you do have a grasp on how production works. :wink2:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I called my dealership today. I live in TN. They said that all the Northern cold states would get products first and eventually they would get parts and be able to fix it. It never really gets cold here so I am not worried. Just was curious where they were on fixing these.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Mine have always 'lived' outside and get used everyday.
I regularly start them down to 0*F or just below.

If I was expecting to need to start at -15*F or below I'd unwrap the cord and find a way to plug it in. That said I'm sure we've had members post about unaided starting at those temps.

Back when the LML was new, GM bragging about how quick and easily they would start, unaided, with temps in the 0*F range.

Owners manual does say 'they will start easier' if plugged in when below 0*F.
This is the 2018 diesel supplement, but the others are similar:

Engine Heater
If equipped, the engine heater can provide easier starting in cold weather conditions at or below −18 °C (0 °F).

They also included a warning about not using the block heater in a garage....even in 2018.....before the recent recall....

Warning
Do not plug in the engine block heater while the vehicle is parked in a garage or under a carport.
Property damage or personal injury may result. Always park the vehicle in a clear open area away from buildings or structures.

EDIT to add:
2020 supplement has same recommendation and same warning...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had mine replaced about a month ago. Called service department to check on status of parts, they didn't have any in stock so told me they would order one for my truck. About a week and a half later I called to ask if parts were in yet, they said that they just came in so when would I like them installed? How about tomorrow? Sounds good, bring it in. Took it in next day and they installed parts. Looks like they did a better job than factory install when I saw how they routed cord and tie-wraped it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just picked truck back up from dealer doing warranty work on oil and coolant leaks. Inquired about the heater recall and was told it was closed on my truck. So still no answers on if I'm going to get one or not. How hard is it to get parts for a simple block heater?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I've had block heaters on several vehicles I've owned. It usually isn't about being able to start but more about having a heater that works right off the bat and making life easier for the engine. Besides, a warm engine gets better fuel economy than a cold one so the cost of heating the block is somewhat offset by the improved economy.

For this use I would want a heater that worked any time it was plugged in, not just when the temps are below a certain trigger temp. Maybe it would be a problem with the programming in the ECM that expects a certain coolant temp drop relative to the OAT over time but if that was the case I think it could be fixed with a tune. Of course tuning the L5P is not easy or cheap but if I was getting a tune I'd ask for this change.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
I've had block heaters on several vehicles I've owned. It usually isn't about being able to start but more about having a heater that works right off the bat and making life easier for the engine. Besides, a warm engine gets better fuel economy than a cold one so the cost of heating the block is somewhat offset by the improved economy.

For this use I would want a heater that worked any time it was plugged in, not just when the temps are below a certain trigger temp. Maybe it would be a problem with the programming in the ECM that expects a certain coolant temp drop relative to the OAT over time but if that was the case I think it could be fixed with a tune. Of course tuning the L5P is not easy or cheap but if I was getting a tune I'd ask for this change.
This...

But I have to say the 2019 high idle is much more efficient and eng up to temp far superior than my 2013

·
Registered
5 Posts
How many of you that have already had your engine block heater fixed have had to go back because the engine coolant low warning came on because the dealership didn't put in enough fluid?

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Got my letter today my parts are in and have an appointment for the heater replacement on Friday. Thanks for the heads up on the coolant, I will make sure to remind them to fill it. Is there something special about filling/venting on the Duramax engines?

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,292 Posts
Anytime you open up the system and refill, there's always a small amount of air left that will purge as you drive. Service will burp and fill as much as they can.

It's quite common to have to add a bit of coolant the next day or so as the level stabilizes.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Anytime you open up the system and refill, there's always a small amount of air left that will purge as you drive. Service will burp and fill as much as they can.

It's quite common to have to add a bit of coolant the next day or so as the level stabilizes.
Actually the problem is compounded because the air gets introduced and then subsequently trapped down low on the engine because that's where the heater is located.

If you're just filling up an open container then air wouldn't be getting trapped. Unfortunately it's all the twists and turns of the plumbing that causes air to get trapped.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,292 Posts
Heater.....as in the heater core, not the block heater.

·
Registered
826 Posts
How many of you that have already had your engine block heater fixed have had to go back because the engine coolant low warning came on because the dealership didn't put in enough fluid?
It's not uncommon the dealer try's to burb all the air out but sometimes it has to be driven a few hundred miles before all the air gets out no big deal just add a little coolant and your good to go

·
Registered
80 Posts
I threw a Phillips & Temro oil heater and P&T transmission fluid heater on her this summer, realizing "winter is coming" and it would take a while for GM to sort things out. I also have P&T battery heaters. I tied all of this stuff together into one Noco shore power outlet mounted in the bumper valence (see picture). Once I get the block heater recall done, I will add it to this circuit. Total amps will be ~10.7.

Also threw a Noco waterproof marine grade battery charger on her, powered on a different circuit through a second Noco shore power outlet through the bumper valence. I built a bracket and mounted the charger behind the front bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep. They brought my truck around and the low coolant light was on. The mechanics had left so I went home and topped it up the next day. Two weeks later it's down again so I topped it up again. By quite a bit this time. I'm going to take it back tomorrow to see what's going on.

101 - 120 of 144 Posts