Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
161 - 180 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
There was an additional 'fix as required' bulletin regarding rubbing lines on some early L5P trucks

Yours may be included.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 2017 with an l5p and a Block Heater short.The Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. REMEDY IS NOT YET AVAILABLE. it's getting to be winter out and this is terrible, -15 now cant fit my truck into my garage, I hope GM comes with a solution soon!!! Anyone else with this?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I have 2017 with an l5p and a Block Heater short.The Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. REMEDY IS NOT YET AVAILABLE. it's getting to be winter out and this is terrible, -15 now cant fit my truck into my garage, I hope GM comes with a solution soon!!! Anyone else with this?
Are recalling the ones they already replaced?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Nope, nobody else with an L5P being affected by the L5P block heater recall…

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Thankfully these L5P have much better starting abilities than previous generations. Although they're super grumpy, you can go on youtube and watch -40 cold starts. Im sure itll take almost a half hour at elevated idle to get comfy, but at least it works.

Im sure supply chain doesn't help their process but its been YEARS at this point with no remedy. Not sure why they couldn't adapt the new gen in to ours? (Unless theyre also suffering, which I'm not familiar with)

·
Super Moderator
1,477 Posts
See my recent thread...

·
Registered
690 Posts
Going to continue using the block heater this winter, if she burns she burns.... Isn't that what Insurance is for? I did this with the original block heater up until it was replaced the first time, guess what? NO issues!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Going to continue using the block heater this winter, if she burns she burns.... Isn't that what Insurance is for? I did this with the original block heater up until it was replaced the first time, guess what? NO issues!
I probably would’ve done the same thing had they not cut mine off during an unrelated service, and I rarely ever use it.

I get what you’re saying on the insurance thing and share your thought process, but insurance companies don’t wait in line ready to hand out free money for claims…you could bet that in the unlikely event a fire would happen, one of the first thing they’d do is consider open recalls.

·
Super Moderator
1,477 Posts
And you really need to rethink the insurance approach, you have to remember that they depreciate your vehicle. The payout you receive in a total loss could be a lot less than you realize. Combine that with the cost of a new one today, and you're probably going to wish you didn't let your truck burn to the ground.
Switching to 5w40 is a good idea at this point...

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have four year full replacement on my coverage.

Had the truck into the dealer beginning of August for some warranty work and they did not disable the block heater, so who does the responsibility fall to? I can play dumb like the best of them and claim I didn't know. Either way, not worried.

I find it amusing that some of you are so worried by a few fires, I do believe the risk is very low. Hell, the CP4 in the 2011-16 trucks are a bigger problem then our block heaters. Hence Ram is doing a recall on all CP4 Cummins trucks... Would have been nice if GM would step up and take care of that problem.

Another thing I find disturbing is when our Honda had the airbag recall. This thing was basically a shot gun pointed at your face waiting to blow it off if you had a accident. The dealers would NOT disable it because it was safety equipment. That thinking blew me away, safety equipment that was actually killing or disfiguring people.... and they say the car was safe to drive until parts became available. Where is the sense in that?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
How low are the overnight temps in your location?

·
Registered
334 Posts
And you really need to rethink the insurance approach, you have to remember that they depreciate your vehicle. The payout you receive in a total loss could be a lot less than you realize. Combine that with the cost of a new one today, and you're probably going to wish you didn't let your truck burn to the ground.
Switching to 5w40 is a good idea at this point...
I am worried about the insurance claim if my truck were to go up in smoke. I am also very pissed that GM cannot figure out a block heater. I have spoke to them numerous times and they assure me they are 'working on a solution'. I am sorry but this is very unacceptable and they should be embarrassed. All I am trying to do is follow the instructions in the owners manual and plug it inn when temps are below -18C or 0F. They tell me it 'should' start with temps below -18C. Last winter we were at -43C for 2 weeks in Feb. Will it start at those temps, maybe, probably but who is responsible for the top end wear when it does not see any oil for thousands of revolutions? Yep I'm looking in the mirror now...

The last time they 'fixed' my block heater in 2019, I received the recall in May and the parts were not available to fix it until Nov of that year. Given the supply chain issues we have with Covid, there is absolutely no hope of getting a working block heater for this winter season. So since GM is unable to sort out this high tech item I installed an oil pan heater - this one is 150watts. I had it plugged in for 1 hour the other day with ambient temps of only -2C and using a temp gun, the temp on the heat pad was 50C. The worst part of this install was getting the wiring in nice and neat. I would prefer a block heater but that is too much to ask from GM's 'engineers'.

Attachments

·
Registered
690 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
I see you and I are in the same city. Calgary never got to the temperature's you are stating, maybe with a wind chill which we should all know by now that wind chill does not affect vehicles. Needless to say, I always plug in if the temps are below 0c. Truck blows warm air within minutes.

As for the Insurance, you think they won't void your claim with that aftermarket heater glued to your oil pan? I'll take my chances with the factory installed heater, did for two years on the original recalled heater...

Calgary temperatures 2020-21 https://calgary.weatherstats.ca/charts/temperature-monthly.html

Reactions: nashguy207

·
Registered
334 Posts
Check the temps in Conklin for last winter. The heat pad I put on does not have a recall and it is CSA certified

161 - 180 of 183 Posts