Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used their block heater yet? I have a 2005 LLY and I live in Kodiak Alaska, the outside temp is 18 deg F. I just plugged mine in for the first time and on my EDGE ATTITUDE the engine temp, after 2 hours, is 108deg F. This seems a little high. Does anyone have anything to compare it to? I don't want to damage anything.

Flyfish13 :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I use mine, but I have never checked my engine temp. I don't have an edge, so I can't tell you what mine is after being plugged in. If I remember tomorrow, I will check with my predator at work. How long before plugging it in did you run the truck? It takes quite a while for the block to cool down. I don't think there is anything wrong with yours. Although, I don't plug in until it gets to 10F or colder either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think im 4th or 5th on this, mine too comes to about 108*. why would you want another block heater on the other side? you want it hotter than 100*?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Plugged mine in and in the morning saw 108¬? F on the Attitude monitor. It was -9¬?C or 16¬? F outside when I checked it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2005 Duramax 6.6 diesel, and I am looking for an engine block heater. My local dealer, usually helpful, cannot locate. Help! In OH it's get's cold sometimes, but a warm truck is nice. 199,000 miles...I have heard that it's installed, but if it's on there now, I cannot find it! My dealer says that in this part of the country they aren't standard equipment.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
You should already have one in your engine (I think all duramax's came with them reguardless of where you live)....look for the plug on the right side of the truck....I would look by your right motor mount since in the installation intstructions it says to remove the motor mount. In any case, the part number that I came up with is 10369173.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i live in mississippi and my truck came with a block heater, so if mine has one they all should have one. it is on the right side of the truck under the hood, by the fuel filter area or the the air filter. it has black tape holding it to some wires.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I know this has been asked many times on other sites...that is why kennedy did the pics on his site. My truck was "winterized" when I bought it so I didn't have to do the search.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I wonder if you can put another block heater ont he other side?
Don't see why you couldn't. Either way the temp should stay the same. The only benefit would be that it should take half the time for the coolant to reach the preset temp. Though, it could...and I only say could...hurt how the coolant flows with the engine off. With the single block heater, the temp difference is what keeps the coolant circulating in the system. I suppose it is possible that if there is two heat sources, you would not get a circular motion in the system. Once again, it is just a thought on why it might not work. I do not have a degree in fluid dynamics or anything that comes close. I just remember some basic science from high school.

I would keep the single block heater, and get a oil pan heater instead of trying two block heaters. Then you have the warm coolant, and warm oil to help aid in starting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Does anybody know where to get replacement block heaters? If so, how much? Also, where in the devil is this thing located???? Mine is bad and needs to be replaced.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts