Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Does anybody know where to get replacement block heaters? If so, how much? Also, where in the devil is this thing located???? Mine is bad and needs to be replaced.

· Registered
62 Posts
well, when I got the truck, the cord had never even been untied from the battery cables. The cord reads open for resistance. You're right, it could be either of them, but as I've never owned this block heater before, I am unsure which is most likely, especially with a unit that has never been used. Regardless, do you have a ballpark figure on how much each component costs?

· Registered
62 Posts
Hmmm.. I might get both from the dealer, as long as I can return the heater if mine isn't bad. I live in minneapolis, and while it's starting to warm up, it's not uncommon for overnight temps to dip below zero. I find the truck sometimes takes a couple cranks to start and smokes for a bit when I start it that cold. Normally I cure this by using my foot as a fast idle. When the lows are over 15 or so, there are no issues starting. When warm, there are no drivability issues whatsoever. I thought maybe a few glowplugs aren't up to snuff, but I'm lazy and would rather just plug it in. Besides, I like the idea of crawling into a warm cab. Is it possible the factory didn't attach the cord to the block heater?? I haven't looked as I have that skidplate underneath and it makes working on stuff a lot harder under there.

· Registered
62 Posts
HAHA I love that idea! Yeah, I see it's easy to install a fast idle switch. I also want an oilpan heater, because I hate how high that oil pressure goes when it's first started in the cold. Yeah, do you know what the glowplugs cost? It isn't setting any codes, but that is the most likely culprit.

· Registered
62 Posts
Well I thought I'd finally get around go doing some investigation as to why the block heater did work. Well, evidently the previous GM tech that did some work on the truck forgot to plug it back in! The plug was just hanging loose! So I shot some contact cleaner in it and voila. It works perfectly! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.