Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
6,033 Posts
Does anybody know where to get replacement block heaters? If so, how much? Also, where in the devil is this thing located???? Mine is bad and needs to be replaced.
You can go to the Dealer for the part. It is located on the pass side of the engine block. How do you know it is bad? The element does not usually go bad, the cord does. You can check the resistance with a ohm (A good element measures about 11 ohms).

· Registered
62 Posts
well, when I got the truck, the cord had never even been untied from the battery cables. The cord reads open for resistance. You're right, it could be either of them, but as I've never owned this block heater before, I am unsure which is most likely, especially with a unit that has never been used. Regardless, do you have a ballpark figure on how much each component costs?

· Registered
6,033 Posts
not on the heater plus cord. I was quoted around $38 for just the cord as it can be removed, and replaced. I just found an old extension cord and made my own:D Damn stocker is not long enough anyways. How cold is where you are at anyways? I do not even plug it in unless it is below 10deg, and it has seen -15deg, and not had a problem starting.

· Registered
62 Posts
Hmmm.. I might get both from the dealer, as long as I can return the heater if mine isn't bad. I live in minneapolis, and while it's starting to warm up, it's not uncommon for overnight temps to dip below zero. I find the truck sometimes takes a couple cranks to start and smokes for a bit when I start it that cold. Normally I cure this by using my foot as a fast idle. When the lows are over 15 or so, there are no issues starting. When warm, there are no drivability issues whatsoever. I thought maybe a few glowplugs aren't up to snuff, but I'm lazy and would rather just plug it in. Besides, I like the idea of crawling into a warm cab. Is it possible the factory didn't attach the cord to the block heater?? I haven't looked as I have that skidplate underneath and it makes working on stuff a lot harder under there.

· Registered
6,033 Posts
I see.. I think it would be easier to change glow plugs.. I can plug mine in over night and it is not warm when I get in it, but it does sound better when started. I do know that thing will raise the electric bill though (wife was not happy), and since it does not warm it up enough to notice (through the heater) it does not get plugged in that much. I cut a board and use the power seat to hold it against the throttle to raise the idle, so I can go back in and have coffee in my warm house, but I am cheap, and in the summer it will get the high idle installed.

· Registered
62 Posts
HAHA I love that idea! Yeah, I see it's easy to install a fast idle switch. I also want an oilpan heater, because I hate how high that oil pressure goes when it's first started in the cold. Yeah, do you know what the glowplugs cost? It isn't setting any codes, but that is the most likely culprit.

· Registered
6,033 Posts
Around $18 each at Autozone. I would just unplug the cord and check that first. And when you get the block heater working the oil pressure will not climb as high. I use a cheap timer (bought it a LOWES for like $12) when it is going to be real cold out and it turns on about 2hrs before I leave, and the oil pressure does not want to hit the 120 mark..

· Registered
2,602 Posts
Has anyone used their block heater yet? I have a 2005 LLY and I live in Kodiak Alaska, the outside temp is 18 deg F. I just plugged mine in for the first time and on my EDGE ATTITUDE the engine temp, after 2 hours, is 108deg F. This seems a little high. Does anyone have anything to compare it to? I don't want to damage anything.

Flyfish13 :rolleyes:
This is totally, normal. The reason its so hot is as you have seen in the morning, you dont have near as much ice on the window because its keeping the fluid in the heater core warm also.

· Registered
62 Posts
Well I thought I'd finally get around go doing some investigation as to why the block heater did work. Well, evidently the previous GM tech that did some work on the truck forgot to plug it back in! The plug was just hanging loose! So I shot some contact cleaner in it and voila. It works perfectly! :)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.