Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Doing head gaskets in my truck and want to know if this is good enough to drop the head onto or if I need to keep cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts
That would be good enough for me, I don't have pictures but when I did head gaskets on my LB7 the block looked comparable to that when I put it back together.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. I thought it was good but wanted another opinion. Thank you.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yea pretty well as long as you can't feel anything with your fingernails.
Hope you didn't use the brown Scotch Brite pads.

Sent from my google machine

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, did not use a scotch brite pad. My fingernail didn’t get caught on anything either.

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
If it were me, as long as I had the heads off, Id have a valve job done by a machine shop.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Doing head gaskets in my truck and want to know if this is good enough to drop the head onto or if I need to keep cleaning.

About to start prepping my block seen this looks good what did you use?

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
The most important factor is for the block to be clean and smooth. Don't worry about appearance. Use a carbide Super Scraper or Lisle carbide scraper with a bit of oil for lubrication. I did not use it but if an abrasive is needed use 600 grit or finer with a 1/2" glass or steel backer for flatness. The new multi-layer HG gaskets are coated and need a smooth, clean surface. If you get debris in the cylinder bores a trick I use is to put grease in the bore and rotate the piston. This catches any debris and deposits it at the top of the bore. Wipe clean with a rag and repeat as necessary. This is the only photo I have however with the gasket in place you really can't see how clean the block is except near the edges. What little you can see, was done with the carbide scraper. Looks like you're almost to the half-way point. Others more experienced than I will most likely weigh in. (y)

·
Registered
15 Posts
The most important factor is for the block to be clean and smooth. Don't worry about appearance. Use a carbide Super Scraper or Lisle carbide scraper with a bit of oil for lubrication. I did not use it but if an abrasive is needed use 600 grit or finer with a 1/2" glass or steel backer for flatness. The new multi-layer HG gaskets are coated and need a smooth, clean surface. If you get debris in the cylinder bores a trick I use is to put grease in the bore and rotate the piston. This catches any debris and deposits it at the top of the bore. Wipe clean with a rag and repeat as necessary. This is the only photo I have however with the gasket in place you really can't see how clean the block is except near the edges. What little you can see, was done with the carbide scraper. Looks like you're almost to the half-way point. Others more experienced than I will most likely weigh in. (y) View attachment 1091221
Reno to the rescue!!!!!!! Wow that’s clean looks great, I just dropped off heads , took a minute to find a good shop , injectors are being tested and gaskets showed up last night. I did order the lisle carbide scraper set and will start prepping today. I have a new down pipe that’s been sitting in the box for over a year and now its wide open! Just pulled the water pump and was going to order just the pump without housing. Did you do any work to your valves?

·
Registered
9 Posts
+1 for the carbide scraper. I just did mine and was amazed at how much that thing removed from the surface vs a razor blade. I didn’t do any sanding either.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I ordered the full pump with housing, I forget the price difference but I thought with all the work involved why take a chance if there was any wear or concealed damage. I think Rock had the best deal for the OEM pump. You don't need a welded pump.
My machine shop said they'd go out of business if every set of heads that came in were as good as the one's I had. They triple checked every spec and the heads were in great shape. They came back looking like new. The shop has a good reputation in town and other diesel shops use them so I have to trust their judgement. So far, so good!
Just pulled the water pump and was going to order just the pump without housing. Did you do any work to your valves?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts