Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So over the last few weeks i have been slowly losing control of the blower motor. it started when one day i hopped in and levels 1,2 and 3 did not work. 4 and 5 worked fine. yesterday 4 went so now i only have level 5. i haven't done much in the way of troubleshooting yet but if you guys have any direction for me to go in it would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I just glossed over the manual on that this morning, there are 3 different power sources for the blower motor on the 05 depending on the selection made. Sounds like the 03 could be similar. If that sounds right, I'll dive back in and see what I can find

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a Lot Any help would be appreciated I'd rather not just start changing components without havin a clue.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Tomorrow I'll scan anything that looks like it will help, PM me your email and I'll send them to you

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
im not sure if this is the problem but on our late 90s style 1/2 ton we have put 4 different blower controls in, its something in the switch that goes out and when it does, the whole unit has to be replaced..its a paid cause the dash has to be removed and wires unhooked..we didnt have one and two and everything else was high speed..hope I could be of some assistance, goodluck and please let me know what you find out..

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
its probably your blower resignator something like that i cant remember what its call mine did the same thing its under the glove box behind the trim super easy to fix cost me like 80 bucks thought ill try to take some pictures of mine to show you were its at and try to find out what its called for sure

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
^^^^
It’s the relay module that plugs into the blower motor and steps down the fans output for different speeds. The 7-wire harness that feeds it will usually be melted as well. It only seems to happen with the manual temp control models and not the auto temp with digital readout models.

Both NAPA and O’Reilly sell both the relay and a replacement plug pigtail for the burnt harness. Easy to access, easy to repair…relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just talked to my buddy who is a gm tech and he told me the same so ill have to check it out! thanks guys

·
Registered
3 Posts
Blower Motor Resistor

Most likely the blower motor resistor. Had fan 1 day and none the next. Just pulled 4 screws for the plastic cover on the right side of cab and you can't miss the resistor. I pulled the connector off and low and behold 3 or 4 of the terminals were burnt/melted. New part will be here tomorrow, can't wait temp here in southern AZ has been 100 plus for the last 3-4 days. Thanks to DF for the answer to problem.:drink

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just replaced mine recently...Brother is a gm mechanic and he says he replaces them all the time.... Replaced the harness and the resistor and everything is back to normal. Parts from gm were about 100 bucks but there are aftermarket ones available. Brother bought them for me with the discount. Goodluck with the fix

·
Registered
3 Posts
Blower Resistor

Update: Just finished installing blower resistor and connector and fan is back working just fine. Purchased from GM dealer for about $100. Thanks to all that have responded to the blower resistor posts. Helped very much.:drink

·
Registered
760 Posts
This thread hit nail right on the head. Fixed mine just the other day for just under a $100 ( napa parts). That included new pigtail and resonator.:drink

·
Registered
128 Posts
Blower motor resistor takes 5 minutes to change, $ 48 O'reilly

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mine won't shut off even when the key is off any sugustions ??? Thanks I was thanking it was the Lil modual under the dash like speed controle !!!!! Dodges are notorious for this issue !!!!

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Echlin BR474...
at NAPA :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts