Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well got EFI live friday, truck ran great hole new animal. Well about 90% sure i blew the passenger side head gasket... Think a couple friends and I could get it done on the weekend?

Dylan

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Sucks man, sorry to hear it..and yes, as long as you're mechanically inclined you should be able to in a weekend. You have coolant in your oil, hard rad hose in the morning and bubbles in your reservoir?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No but my radiator hose has been collapsed since friday night, and saturday i came out to my truck and the DIC said low coolant. Then it seems theres like a mist or spray in the engine bay on the passenger side of the motor, and then theres a puddle under it if its parked a while.. I just dont know how that happened. Trucks never been hot, My big tune is like 150 so I just am lost...

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
wow man that sucks, get it pressure tested before you venture into the abyss......if you decide to do it yourself merchant auto/alligator performance sell upgraded head gasket kits with arp headstuds...buddy just got those for his lb7. he is a auto mechanic by nature so his took him less time, but i think start to finish less time for the heads to be machined it took him like 8-12 hours..he went non stop and had friends helpin him

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
a collapsed hose doesnt mean headgaskets. check all ur options before u tear into it. u could have a small crack somewhere or a small hole in ur coolant system. i get low coolant everyonce in a while but i traced my leak to a small drip right by my water pump that i havent fixed in 5 months. like once every 3 or 4 weeks it will say low coolant and be just low enough to go off but i just dont feel like changing it for that. if u dont have a mixture of oil and water and ur pressure hose isnt rock hard after sitting overnight then id venture it might be something else

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Inspect the egr cooler they can rupture and leak coolant along with all it's lines.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I got in it last night pulling out in front of someone, forgot it was in the 150 tune and it like lost power so I let out and engine light came on. So I pulled over checked everything, all temps fine no smoke, put it in stock liked it home. I have the egr shut off in the tune but no blocker plate could that also be an issue?

Thanks, Dylan

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Well I got in it last night pulling out in front of someone, forgot it was in the 150 tune and it like lost power so I let out and engine light came on. So I pulled over checked everything, all temps fine no smoke, put it in stock liked it home. I have the egr shut off in the tune but no blocker plate could that also be an issue?

Thanks, Dylan
do you have a code reader to determine what code it was? u could of easily limped the tranny which is much more likely than blowing the headgaskets. u could of also drained the rails on the 150hp tune( though i never do on mine) and that would set a light off as well and make the truck fall on its face

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the race valve just not installed yet, also trans seemed to shift smooth and temps stayed normal. I thought if you limped it, it stayed in like a certain gear.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I have the race valve just not installed yet, also trans seemed to shift smooth and temps stayed normal. I thought if you limped it, it stayed in like a certain gear.
race valve takes two minutes to do, i did the shim with dustin and we did both of ours in like ten minutes. normally yes. we are just doing guess work until u pull the codes

·
Registered
278 Posts
a collapsed hose mean your coolant cap does not breath right. You need to soak it in hot water with dawn dish soap or just replace it.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
the CEL was most likely a fuel limp code.
get a lift pump and like stated above soak your rad. cap in hot soapy water for a while.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have soaked it two different times, I ordered a new one but wont be in till tomorrow. Where can I find a EGR cooler delete, if that is whats leaking. My tuens have the egr shut off but I have not blocked it yet. Also I could not get the factory fuel valve to break lose 3 different people including myself tried it. The Factory one is the one to the left of the glow plug module correct? It isn't reverse threaded? I guess ill just have to man up and break that sucker lose.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The fuel rail valve goes on the passenger side? Also I am confused about what EGR thing to Pro fab has a lot of different option and very different price ranges. Any help there would be great.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
The fuel rail valve goes on the passenger side? Also I am confused about what EGR thing to Pro fab has a lot of different option and very different price ranges. Any help there would be great.
Fuel valve goes on drivers side on the back of the fuel rail.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The P0746 is Pressure Control Performance/stuck. [The 700 just turns on the light] These are trans codes-- You caused it to limp.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts