Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer who was up in the mountains today skiing. Well, he went to start his truck and it started knocking like someone was hitting it with a 4 lb hammer. No warning. So, truck is on its way to the dealership and my customer is boiling, on his way home, about 200 miles the other direction!

I am thinking it threw a rod.

Also, FWI - Its one of the limited edition trucks with the cooling/oil pressure issues. Should be interesting . . . .

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
Depending on milage could just be a worn rod bearing unless he is pushing big power or running drugs then it could have easilly shortend a rod IIRC it only takes a small amount of bend to make the piston skirt hit the crank weight!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
35k miles, edge juice/attitude only, usually on level 2 or 3.

I have only heard the kind of noise his was making when I blew up an 8.3L Cummins in Korea. it has 3 rods sticking out of the motor and was still running!! After the truck has gone through 2 turbos and with the cooling problem I am sure he has already called his lawyer. We'll see.

·
Dmax 4M 4EVER!
53 Posts
Air'd Up?

I have seen many an aired up diesel (in the fuel system) start up and sound like its gonna come all undone, and I mean loud. If I didnt know better I would have said the rod bearings were out, or rods were bent...

Is there possibility of air with these new EFI diesels???

Air can come in from a fuel filter gasket, or semi loose line connection (cooling off, shrinking down, and creating a vacuum in the system, pulling in a small amount of air, where increased temp / pressure extrudes the seals so fluid wont leak out)

Just cant see a perfectly fine running engine (special edition with oil problems or not) when he shut it down blowing a rod upon restart...without it A) being out of oil, or B) having an obvious problem when he shut it down. I would be interested to hear the "rest of the story"...:cool

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, after some time at the dealer it turned out to be the injector harness. The left bank was not firing at all. I can tell you thats not what it sounded like over the phone, but ok. The truck is still running fine now, so whatever they fixed, seems to have fixed it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts