Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was heading home and I got into the throttle a little bit more than I should have. Ended up at high RPM's and all of a sudden I heard a big blast of air, and now no more boost. I've looked over my turbo boots, and on the outlet of the intercooler it is covered in oil but does not appear to be ripped. Has anyone experienced this and/or have any idea what I might be looking for? Immediate thought when it happened was somewhere the air from the turbo blew out and I have a leak that I'm not finding. But also thought maybe head gaskets, or bad turbo altogether. Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Head gaskets unlikely. Best way to find a boost leak is to pressurize the system with the truck off. Dont throw a turbo at it until you try this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
you checked over every boot on the system? ive had boots pop off a few times where they looked like they were on but they were not. A head gasket would not cause a boost loss, a trashed turbo would, but I really doubt that would go unnoticed. More then likely its just a popped boot. If you have oil around that boot, its probably not tight enough, or maybe the clamp is broken.

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
Check your y bridge to make sure it didn’t come apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Former GM Tech and parts
3,020 Posts
Definitely double check all the boots well, I've ripped a couple in hard-to-see spots that looked good but the rip was hidden away from visibility. You can do a pressure check without the truck running to help find it. And absolutely check the elbow into the Y-bridge seeing as you have a Sinister egr delete. They were kind of knows for not being properly supported and allowing the elbow to remove itself from the bridge

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good catch on the y-bridge. I had forgotten that was a common fail point. It did “split” or however you want to say it. I think I’ll just go with a new y-bridge even though they’re so God awful expensive

·
Registered
173 Posts
I literally just got a 5" hose clamp, and wrapped it around the y bridge /inlet and tightened the piss out of it. Just make sure you catch the little tab on the drivers side of the inlet. Or get two hose clamps and criss cross them.
20000kms and no issues. $3.

Sent from my google machine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts