Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have an 01 LB7 and it keeps blowing the coolant out of the degas bottle. I'm thinkin it might be the head gaskets but i was wondering if anyone had an idea

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
How many miles? Dose it have any modifications to it? Sounds like a head gasket but not sure yet!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea i got 98000 on it but none of the dealers around here will warrenty it because it past the 5 year mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has a banks six gun tuner on it. i am pretty sure i blew the head gasket when i had it turned up to level 6

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do thanks do u know if any specialty tools are need for those or not? I have done pretty much everything on 7.3 and 6.0L at work and just didnt know if any special tools are needed like they are for them

·
3,162 Posts
No special tool that i know of but i do know it takes something like 20 hours to do a set of head gaskets!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
see what the Chilton manual says about that one :D haha.. I'm not sure I would tackle the head gasket replacement on my own... but to my knowledge, no special tools required...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i work on fords all day long at the dealership so i am sure i cant be any worse than replaceing head gaskets on a 6.0

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem in that the truck runs good ( I guess ) but have to add coolant every 200 miles or so. I bought the truck online and flew to Texas to pick it up and when I got in it to drive it home the " low coolant level" light was on so the dealer removed the cap to add coolant and the cap blew sky high, on the way home it used about 14 gals. of coolant. Is it possible to drive the truck 1500 miles on a bad head gasket?

·
3,162 Posts
I have the same problem in that the truck runs good ( I guess ) but have to add coolant every 200 miles or so. I bought the truck online and flew to Texas to pick it up and when I got in it to drive it home the " low coolant level" light was on so the dealer removed the cap to add coolant and the cap blew sky high, on the way home it used about 14 gals. of coolant. Is it possible to drive the truck 1500 miles on a bad head gasket?
Yeah it is, a buddy of mine drove his back from flordia towing a trailer with a poped gasket, and for a month after that, it eventually got so bad that he could not drive it though!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
no special tools needed at all. its a straight forward and simple job. if you have experiance with the fords like i do then a duramax is a walk in the park for doing head work. just make sure you get the heads checked. mine were cracked and i am glad i got mine checked

·
Registered
699 Posts
yes chears to duramaxsmoke11, get them heads preasure tested for crakes and decked nice and smooth. also if you can do head gaskets on 7.3's and 6.0's that old 6.6 will be a smooth easy job for ya

1 - 18 of 18 Posts